No Cost Extensions
A no-cost extension (NCE) is a formal extension of the grant termination date without requesting additional funds. Each funding agency may have its own procedure for granting an NCE.
To request an NCE for a grant, contact the PAF team. PAF will review the funding agency’s grant requirements and provide guidance for requesting the NCE.
For a federal award under the Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) or Expanded Authorities (EA), the first 12-month NCE can be approved by the University through the PAF team. To request an NCE in this situation, simply email PAF with the following information:
- The project number.
- The grant number.
- The desired termination date (within 12 months of the original termination date).
All requests must cite one of the following reasons:
- Additional time beyond the established expiration date is required to assure completion of the original approved project scope or objectives.
- Continuity of the PHS grant support is required while a competing application is under review.
- The extension is necessary to permit an orderly phase-out of a project that will not receive continued support.
The PAF team will notify the federal funding agency of local approval by the University.
For all other awards, including other federal awards not under FDP or EA, please email the PAF team so that guidance can be provided for following the agency’s specific process to obtain an NCE.
What is needed for a second NCE with the Federal Government
- Address the "No Cost Extension" letter to the NIH Grants Manager on your departmental letterhead with the PI signature and send to Post Award Finance with below information:
- Grant number
- Title of the Project
- Requested new end date
- Estimated total amount of remaining funds (including F&A) with budget estimate for use of funds during the extension period including the F&A. This should be submitted on a form PHS 398 with the budget justification attached.
- Indicate if the level of effort for any Key Personnel (listed in Notice of Award) will be reduced by more than 25% of the level originally proposed (Requires prior approval). Also indicate if these reductions on effort will have any effect on the overall scope of the project.
- If applicable, indicate whether your human/animal/biohazards approvals will be maintained and kept current during the extension period. If the original forms have been updated, please include with this submission.
- Provide concise technical reason(s) for the requested extension.
- Any other information that is required by the Grant Specialist in order to review the request for approval.