A Message from the Provost: Welcome
I am delighted to welcome you to The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHSC-H). As a current or potential student, or perhaps even an interested parent, it is important for you to know that there are many facets to our university that, working together, make it a rich and stimulating learning environment that nurtures creativity and discovery. The combination of our six schools, multiple research institutes and centers, and hospital partners and clinics provides a wealth of opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Our vision of “Excellence Above All” is apparent in all that we do to further education, research, patient care and community service throughout the university. That is our mission. As a result of our commitment to this vision and mission, you will find that:
- We are rigorous in our recruitment of faculty and students and our investment in leadership, both current and future.
- We highly value the diversity of every individual in our university community, from students to faculty to staff to patients.
- We believe that scholarship is the foundation of all our activities, especially in learning or discovering new knowledge and in teaching, integrating and applying that knowledge.
- We believe that service occurs often as an extension of scholarship as members of the university community translate and apply their knowledge and skills to care for patients, to prevent disease, or to analyze and set or change public policies related to education and
health care. Our services are provided at the local, state, national and international levels.
- Our location and research activities benefit every one of our educational programs. Our presence in not only the Texas Medical Center but also in five regional campuses across Texas, in community hospitals, in clinics, and in local schools supports scholarly activity. Our physical plant includes more than 4 million gross square feet of space in facilities for education, basic science and clinical research, inpatient and ambulatory health care, student accommodations, and recreation.
- The quality of our faculty and the variety of our educational, research and patient care programs provide distinctive opportunities for students to excel. Our 19 academic degree programs employ cutting-edge technology and innovative educational approaches to student learning.
- We believe in teamwork while also valuing the individual. Students learn to work together, and with faculty, drawing strength from the knowledge, skills and contributions of others. At the same time, we value one another, recognizing and celebrating the talents, creativity and character of each member of the team.
As a longtime UTHSC-H employee, I feel strongly that UTHSC-H is an outstanding place to learn and grow. Those who join us will certainly share many positive experiences that will enrich their lives, build on the reputation of our university, and benefit our community.
Peter J.A. Davies, M.D., Ph.D.
Provost & Executive Vice President for Research