President’s Scholar Awards
President’s Scholar Award in Research
President’s Scholar Award in Teaching
President’s Scholar Award in Clinical Service
Eligibility and General Criteria:
- President’s Scholar Awards are intended to recognize distinguished achievements of faculty members accomplished primarily at UTHealth;
- All faculty with a minimum of five (5) years of service at UTHealth are eligible; and
- Nominees are ordinarily full-time faculty members at UTHealth.
Criteria for Selection:
The President’s Scholar Awards are unique University-wide awards designed to recognize faculty with demonstrated contributions in teaching, research, and clinical activity, throughout their careers at UTHealth. Nominees and recipients are those widely recognized by peers and students for outstanding achievements in teaching, research, and clinical activity. Evidence of such recognition includes, but is not limited to:
President's Scholar Award for Teaching
- Extent of teaching activities;
- Published works in teaching;
- Innovative online and digital teaching tools;
- Innovation in pedagogy;
- Teaching-related mentoring activities;
- Peer and student recognition of teaching;
- Teaching-related presentation materials;
- Achievements of students and trainees; and
- Other pertinent teaching activities
President's Scholar Award for Research
- Extent of research activities;
- Research quality and importance, impact of scientific work;
- Productivity, extramural grants and peer reviewed publications;
- Peer recognition;
- Contributions while at UTHealth; and
- Other pertinent research activities
President's Scholar Award for Clinical Service
- Innovation in practice, development of new and/or unique clinical programs;
- Peer recognition at the local, national, and international level;
- Exemplary dedication to patient care;
- Evidence of impactful outreach and service to the lay community;
- Leadership in collaborative interprofessional teamwork; and
- Other pertinent clinical activities
Nominations for the awards may be made by deans, chairs, faculty members, and students. There is no limit on the number of nominations that may be submitted. Nominations and supporting materials should be submitted electronically to the UTHealth Office of Faculty Affairs and Development to Terrie Schade-Lugo at Teresa.SchadeLugo@uth.tmc.edu.
- Students shall submit nominations through the dean’s office of his/her individual school and the dean’s office will assist the student with nomination documentation and forward the nomination packet electronically to the UTHealth Office of Faculty Affairs and Development.
The nomination packet should contain a detailed statement from the nominator of the nature, quality, and importance of the accomplishments, along with the following materials:
- A detailed statement from the nominee of the nature and importance of the accomplishments to be recognized;
- A complete curriculum vitae with bibliography;
- Two recommendation letters from UTHealth-affiliated individuals (e.g., students, former students, colleagues, etc.); and
- Other documents as deemed useful.
Nominations and supporting documentation are due to the UTHealth Office of Faculty Affairs
and Development no later than August 18, 2017.
The President’s Scholar Awards Selection Committee (“Committee”) includes the Associate Vice President for UTHealth Faculty Affairs and Development, select past President’s Scholar Award recipients, and may include a representative appointed by the Dean of each UTHealth School. The Committee is tasked with reviewing and recommending the recipients of the three awards to the President of UTHealth. The President makes the final determination and the UTHealth Office of Faculty Affairs and Development will notify the awardees.
In addition to recommending awardees to the President, the Committee is charged with ongoing review of procedures and standards to regulate all areas of the selection process and recommending any changes to the President. Amendments to these guidelines should be recommended by the Committee to the President for a final decision.
Nature of Award:
President’s Scholar Award recipients will receive a $5,000 prize.
In addition to the monetary award, the recipients will also receive an appropriate commemorative plaque. The President of UTHealth or his/her representative will make the announcement and presentation of the award at an annual event. The President will also bestow the continuing honorary title of “President’s Scholar” to the award recipients at that time.