Administration on Community Living (formerly Administration on Aging)
Programs and resources. A service of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Health information. A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
National Institute on Aging
Aging research. A U.S. government Website.
National Institute on Health
Easy-to-use website featuring basic health and wellness information for older adults.
The University of Texas Houston Retirees Organization
Website and newsletter of the active retirees' organization of UT Houston.
National Center on Elder Abuse
Facts and statistics, news, and additional resources on elder abuse.
Lots of Helping Hands
Information for caregiving at home
Articles and News Stories of Interest
Preparing for Natural Disasters
- Hurricane preparedness - tips for older adults Information prepared by the Consortium on Aging in collaboration with Harris County Hospital District and UT Physicians.
- ABC's of disaster planning for older adults Useful information from Hartford Insurance Company.
- How families with a loved one with dementia can plan more successfully for natural disasters. From Hartford Insurance Company.
Living at Home
- Growing Old, At Home - A 4-part series of stories reported by Jennifer Ludden and heard on NPR in August 2010. Additional articles can be accessed from More from this Series.
- How My Mother Disappeared - A New York Times article on a daughter's experience of her mother's dementia
HealthLeader articles on Aging
Listen Up: Although common, age-related hearing loss doesn't have to remain a burden
Head Games: Does "brain training" make us smarter?
Guardians of Life: Ombudsmen advocate quality of life for nursing home and assisted living residents
The Other Facts of Life: The talk you must have with your aging parents before a health crisis
Ask the Experts! Elder Care & Geriatric Medicine (April 2009)
Home Coming: Guide to stroke survivor home care
The Way We Were: How to be a caregiver and still be a couple after a stroke
NPH: The Great Pretender. It looks like Parkinson's, acts like Alzheimer's, seems like dementia. The difference? It's treatable.
The First Day of the Rest of Your Life: Retirement may not be what couples expect
Vision Quest: Our Aging Eyes
Never Too Late: Lifestyle changes - at any age - can help heal your heart
The Dignity They Deserve: Guiding seniors (and their families) through the long-term care process
Turning Point: New research is changing the way we treat pressure ulcers in the elderly
Desperate for Answers: From diagnosis to daily living, restless leg syndrome is both a mysterious and agonizing disorder
The ABCs to Good Health: For many adults, antioxidants may be the key to a longer life
Hidden Danger: Elderly self-neglect is heartbreaking and hazardous. It is also more common than you think
Better with Age: More durable implant makes for longer-lasting hip replacements