Predoctoral Fellowship Training Program
ANNOUNCEMENT: Call for CPRIT BIG-TCR Predoctoral Fellowship Applications in Cancer Research
The 2022 application cycle of CPRIT-funded Predoctoral Fellowship is currently open. Applications will be accepted through 11: 59pm CST, February 14, 2022.The selected candidates will be available for interview between February 23 and February 25, 2021.
Predoctoral Training Program:
The UTHealth BIG-TCR Training Program will support up to five BIG-TCR predoctoral fellows per year. Each trainee will be supervised by two mentors, with one mentor specialized in the biomedical informatics and genomics (BIG) area, while the other mentor in translational or basic cancer research (TCR). The fellowship will cover graduate student tuition, stipends, fringe benefits, and provide a modest travel allowance. BIG-TCR predoctoral fellows will be appointed for one year with the possibility of renewal for up to two years, dependent upon their successful academic and research progress, participation in activities related to the BIG-TCR Training Program (e.g., enhancement activities, annual CPRIT retreat, journal club meetings), and competition among new applicants.
To meet the interdisciplinary competency requirements of the BIG-TCR training program, applicant supervised by current primary mentor must find another mentor from their complementary side (for example, trainees in the TCR area needs to find a co-mentor in the BIG area, and vice versa). UTHealth tenured/tenure-track faculty members who have secured external funding are eligible to be the primary mentor and will be reviewed by the BIG-TCR Executive Committee regarding their funding support, previous mentorship experience, and prior and current efforts in cancer research. Both mentors must be UTHealth regular faculty because this is an UTHealth internal program. Only GSBS regular faculty from UTHealth is eligible to be mentor/co-mentor.
Applicants should be enrolled as full-time in one of the six UTHealth schools;
Primary mentorship application is limited to one per faculty for each funding announcement cycle. Faculty can be co-mentors for more than one trainee. Predoctoral fellows will discuss with their two mentors to propose a cancer research project relevant to both BIG and TCR components, and be supervised by both mentors along the way until the project completes. Co-mentor needs to be UTHealth faculty.
HOW TO APPLY
Materials by Applicant
- Applicants are required to submit their
- predoctoral fellowship application form, including applicant’s information,
- one-page personal statement that includes the career goal, intention to receive the competency-based BIG-TCR Predoctoral Training Program, including the responsible conduct of research, research proposals, workshop, core lab rotation, and BIG-TCR annual retreat,
- two-page research statement (include abstract) that describes the significance of your proposed project and its relevance to cancer research, how it matches mentors’ and your research interest, goals of the project, methods, and potential challenges and expected outcomes,
- one-page training plan that includes the evaluation of trainee’s overall ability, detailed training plans that meets the BIG-TCR competency requirements (include courses to take), regular meeting plan, how the project will help to facilitate the trainee's development opportunities and to achieve career goals in cancer research; Please refer the Curriculums page
- applicant’s curriculum vitae (list essential educational and academic records);
- copies of academic transcripts (transcripts from Undergraduate and Graduate School are required, others are optional);
- applicant’s attestation;
Materials by Mentor and Co-Mentor:
- two Mentors’ biosketch (NIH format, no more than 5 pages for each mentor), which needs to be submitted by applicant along with other materials.
- Sign mentorship agreement in the application form, which needs to be submitted by applicant.
- recommendation letters from both primary mentor and co-mentor are required.
- Please send the recommendation letter to BIG.TCR@uth.tmc.edu with the subject line as "BIG-TCR Predoctoral Mentor/Co-mentor Recommendation Letter for #the name of applicant”.
External recommendation letter:
One letter of recommendation from an external supporter is required in support of the BIG-TCR Predoctoral fellowship applicant. Recommendation letters should be sent in PDF format from the referee's institutional email address to BIG-TCR’s official email address (BIG.TCR@uth.tmc.edu) with the subject line as “BIG-TCR Predoctoral Fellowship Application: Recommendation letter for #the name of applicant”. Please fill the same reference contact in the application form.
Balveen Kaur, Ph.D., Professor and Vice Chair Research, Department of Neurosurgery, McGovern Medical School, UTHealth at Houston
Eva Sevick, Ph.D., Professor, Nancy and Rich Kinder Distinguished Chair of Cardiovascular Disease Research, Institute of Molecular Medicine, McGovern Medical School, UTHealth at Houston
Hulin Wu, Ph.D., M.S., The Betty Wheless Trotter Professor and Chair, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science, School of Public Health, UTHealth at Houston
Jeffrey Chang, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology, McGovern Medical School, UTHealth at Houston
John Hagan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, McGovern Medical School, UTHealth at Houston
W. Jim Zheng, Ph.D., M.S., Professor, School of Biomedical Informatics, Director, the Data Science and Informatics Core for Cancer Research, School of Biomedical Informatics, UTHealth at Houston
Zhongming Zhao, Ph.D., M.S., Chair Professor for Precision Health, Director, Center for Precision Health and UTHealth Cancer Genomics Center, School of Biomedical Informatics, UTHealth at Houston
"To Be Finalized"