Summary of Application Process for Observers, Trainees and Visiting Scientists
The Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer (EVPCAO) oversees this process at the institutional level.
Application Fees for Foreign Observers and Professional Trainees
An application processing fee ($750.00 USD if paid by money order or $775.00 USD if paid by wire transfer) will be charged to all Foreign Observers and Foreign Professional Trainees. Please see the application for specific details.
Please note this is only a brief outline of the application and intake process for Observers, Trainees and Visiting Scientists. For more details, refer to Application Instructions and Procedure Overview for Visitors.
- Applicant identifies a Faculty Sponsor, and Faculty Sponsor agrees to host Applicant
- Applicant completes the applicant’s section of the Application for Observer/Trainee/Visiting Scientist and submits it to the Faculty Sponsor with the required supporting documents.
- Faculty Sponsor completes the department’s section of the Application for Observer/Trainee/Visiting Scientist.
- Faculty/Department Sponsor submits the application with appropriate health form(s) to UT Health Clinical Services (EHCS) for health review. EHCS sends a health clearance email to Faculty Sponsor.
- Faculty/Department Sponsor sends application with supporting documentation, health clearance email and payment (if applicable) to the Office of the EVPACAO (by email: email@example.com). (For Trainees, the Faculty Sponsor will also submit the one-page Trainee Plan.
- The Office of EVPCAO forwards the application to Human Resources to initiate a background check. Upon successful completion of the background check, Human Resources signs off on the application and forwards it to the Office of the EVPCAO.
- The Office of the EVPCAO determines whether an additional agreement (such as a visiting agreement or affiliation agreement) needs to be signed between the Applicant’s home institution and UTHealth. If required, the agreement will be sent to the Faculty Sponsor for forwarding to the Applicant and Applicant’s home institution. Officials at Applicant’s home institution sign the agreement and returns it to the Faculty Sponsor, who forwards it to the Office of the EVPCAO for final signature.
- The Office of the EVPCAO reviews the application. If approved, the EVPCAO signs the application and any additional agreement.
- The Office of the EVPCAO notifies the Faculty Sponsor of the application’s approval or denial, and forwards copies of the approved application to the Faculty Sponsor and Human Resources (as well as the Office of International Affairs for foreign nationals for visa advising).
- Once an application is approved, the Faculty Sponsor’s Department/School sends an Acceptance Letter to the Applicant, detailing the approved dates and scope of work. The Applicant signs this letter and returns it to the Faculty/Department Sponsor.
- Before the visit can start, the Applicant must have an intake appointment with Human Resources to review the Applicant’s identification and obtain a visitor’s UTHealth badge. In addition, the foreign national Applicant must obtain visa clearance from the Office of International Affairs.