If you wish to be an Observer, Trainee or Visiting Scientist at UTHealth (see definitions), you must first identify a faculty sponsor at one of our schools that will be able to supervise your visit. To assist you, here are links to our schools and centers:
- Cizik School of Nursing
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Harris County Psychiatric Center
- McGovern Medical School
- School of Biomedical Informatics
- School of Dentistry
- School of Public Health
- Research Institutes and Centers
Once you identify a faculty sponsor, he/she will provide an application for you to complete (application forms are not available on line).
After you submit your application with supporting documentation to your faculty sponsor, the application must be approved and signed by the faculty member’s department chair or dean. The application will be then reviewed by the Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer, Human Resources Department, UT Health Services, and the Office of International Affairs.
* This approval process takes at least eight weeks. Additional time for obtaining and processing an appropriate U.S. visa must also be taken into account. We encourage you to submit your complete application as early as possible.
For Visiting Scientists and Visiting Student Trainees: An affiliation agreement and letter of support may be required from your home institution before your visit can begin. OGHI will make this determination during the application review process and will inform your faculty sponsor if an agreement is required.
For questions regarding visa status and immigration compliance, please contact the Office of International Affairs.
For more information about Observers, Trainees and Visiting Scientists, please contact OGHI.