Dr. Banghe Zhu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Center for Molecular Imaging
Email Address: Banghe.Zhu@uth.tmc.edu
Phone Number: 713-500-3563
Dr. Zhu has a broad background in instrumentation development for preclinical and clinical near-infrared (NIR) fluorescence imaging studies and translational studies and in data analysis using statistical and correlation methods. After graduation, Dr. Zhu joined the Massachusetts General Hospital. There he developed a catheter-based system for intravascular fluorescence sensing. Combined with activatable or targeted fluorochromes, the catheter-based imaging system can sense molecular pathways in the formation of vulnerable plaque and thus offer important new ways of diagnosis. Later, Dr. Zhu moved to the Florida International University. There he participated in the development of a hand-held optical probe based optical imaging system with 3D tracking facilities for breast cancer detection and applied non-invasive NIR spectroscopy-diffuse optical imaging for functional brain mapping of children with autism.
Currently, Dr. Zhu’s research interests focus on the development and optimization of NIR fluorescence molecular imaging and tomographic systems for translational research and the establishment of certifiable standards for quantifying the task performance of identifying primary lesion margins as well as detecting metastases in the preclinical tumor model using NIR fluorescent agents and far-red gene reporters IFP1.4 and iRFP.
- Zhu, B., and Godavarty, A., “Functional connectivity in the brain in joint attention skills using near infrared spectroscopy and imaging”, Behavioural Brain Research (in press).
- Zhu, B., Wu, G., Robinson, H., Wilganowski, N., Hall, M. A., Ghosh, S. C., Pinkston, K. L., Azhdarinia, A., Harvey, B. R., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “Tumor Margin Detection using Quantitative, NIRF Molecular Imaging Targeting EpCAM Validated by Far-Red Gene Reporter iRFP”, Molecular Imaging and Biology (in press).
- Sevick-Muraca, E. M., and Zhu, B., “The need for performance standards in clinical translation and adoption of fluorescence molecular imaging”, Medical Physics, 40, 040402 (2013).
- Zhu, B., Tan, I., Rasmussen, J. C., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “Validating the sensitivity and performance of near-infrared fluorescence imaging and tomography devices using a novel solid phantom and measurement approach”, Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, 11:95-104 (2012).
- Darne, C., Lu, Y., Tan, I., Zhu, B., Rasmussen, J. C., Yan, S., Smith, A., Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “A compact frequency-domain photon migration system for integration into commercial hybrid small animal imaging scanners for fluorescence tomography” Physics in Medicine and Biology, 57(16): 8135-8152 (2012).
- Zhu, B., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “Reconstruction of sectional images in frequency domain based photoacoustic imaging”, Optics Express, 19:23286-23297 (2011)
- Lu, Y., Zhu, B., Darne, C., Tan, I., Rasmussen, J. C., and Sevick-Muraca E. M., “Improvement of fluorescence-enhanced optical tomography with improved optical filtering and accurate model-based reconstruction algorithms”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 16, 126002(2011).
- Zhu, B., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “Minimizing excitation light leakage and maximizing measurement sensitivity for molecular imaging with near infrared fluorescence”, Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences, 4:301-307(2011).
- Lu, Y., Zhu, B., Shen, H., Rasmussen, J. C., Wang, G., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “A parallel adaptive finite element simplified spherical harmonics approximation solver for frequency domain fluorescence molecular imaging”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 55(16): 4625-4645(2010).
- Zhu, B., Rasmussen, J. C., Lu, Y., and Sevick-Muraca, E. M., “Reduction of excitation light leakage to improve near-infrared fluorescence imaging for tissue surface and deep tissue imaging”, Medical Physics 37:5961-70(2010).
- Regalado, S., Erickson, S. J., Zhu, B., Ge, J. and Godavarty, A., “Automated coregistered imaging using a hand-held probe-based optical image”, Review of Scientific Instruments, 81, 023702(2010).
- Zhu, B., Yadav, N., Rey, G., and Godavarty, A., “Diffuse optical imaging of brain activation to joint attention experience”, Behavioural Brain Research 202: 32-39(2009).
- Ge, J., Zhu, B., Regalado, S., and Godavarty, A., “Three-dimensional fluorescence-enhanced optical tomography using a hand-held probe based imaging system”, Medical Physics. 35, 3354(2008).
- Zhu, B., Eppstein, M., Sevick-Muraca, E. M., and Godavarty, A., “Noise pre-filtering techniques in fluorescence-enhanced optical tomography”, Optics Express, Vol. 15, Page 11285(2007).
- Zhu, B., Jaffer, F. A., Ntziachristos V., and Weissleder, R., “Development of A Near Infrared Fluorescence Catheter: Operating Characteristics and Feasibility for Atherosclerotic Plaque Detection”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, Page 2701(2005).