Dr. Barrett R. Harvey, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Center for Translational Cancer Research
Email Address: Barrett.Harvey@uth.tmc.edu
Phone Number: 713-500-3485
Room Number: 3SCR6.4678
Dr. Barrett Harvey earned his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin in 2003. He joined Merck Research Laboratories in 2004 as a Senior Research Scientist in the Department of Vaccines and Biologics. In 2007 he was recruited by the Institute of Molecular Medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and appointed Assistant Professor of Molecular Medicine. His current research interests focus on design and development of recombinant antibodies and biologics as they relate to therapeutic, diagnostic and basic research needs. To this end, the laboratory ventures into a number of diverse biological fields from infectious disease to oncology.
- Pinkston, KL, Singh KV, Gao P, Wilganowski N, Robinson H, Ghosh SC, Azhdarinia A, Sevick-Muraca EM, Murray BE, Harvey, B.R. “Targeting Pili in Enterococcal Pathogenesis” Infection and Immunity, 2014 Apr;82(4):1540-7. PMCID: PMC3993400. (Featured article on April 2014 Cover).
- Gao P, Pinkston KL, Bourgogne A, Cruz MR, Garsin DA, Murray BE, Harvey BR. “Library Screen identifies Enterococcus faecalis CcpA, the Catabolite Control Protein A, as an Effector of Ace, A Collagen Adhesion Protein Linked to Virulence” Journal of Bacteriology, 2013 Oct;195(20): 4761-8. PMCID: PMC3807442.
- Sillanpää J, Chang C, Singh KV, Montealegre MC, Nallapareddy SR, Harvey BR, Ton-That H, Murray BE. “Contribution of Individual Ebp Pilus Subunits of Enterococcus faecalis OG1RF to Pilus Biogenesis, Biofilm Formation and Urinary Tract Infection.” PLoS One. 2013 Jul 11;8(7): e68813. PMCID: PMC3708956.
- Zhu B, Wu G, Robinson H, Wilganowski N, Hall MA, Ghosh SC, Pinkston KL, Azhdarinia A, Harvey BR, Sevick-Muraca EM. “Tumor Margin Detection Using Quantitative NIRF Molecular Imaging Targeting EpCAM Validated by Far Red Gene Reporter iRFP.” Mol Imaging Biol. 2013 Oct;15(5):560-8. PMID: 23619897
- Ghosh SC, Ghosh P, Wilganowski N, Robinson H, Hall MA, Dickinson G, Pinkston KL, Harvey BR, Sevick-Muraca EM, Azhdarinia A. Multimodal chelation platform for near-infrared fluorescence/nuclear imaging. J Med Chem. 2013 Jan 24;56(2):406-16. PMID:23214723
- Hall, M.A., Pinkston, K.L., Wilganowski, N., Robinson, H., Ghosh, P., Azhdarinia, A., Vazquez-Arreguin, K., Kolonin, A.M., Harvey, B.R.*, Sevick-Muraca, E.M.* “Comparison of mAbs targeting EpCAM for detection of prostate cancer lymph node metastases with multimodal contrast: NIRF imaging and quantitative µPET/CT,” J Nuclear Med, 2012. Sep;53(9):1427-37 PMID: 22872743
- Debroy S, van der Hoeven R, Singh KV, Gao P, Harvey B.R., Murray BE, Garsin DA. “Development of a genomic site for gene integration and expression in Enterococcus faecalis.”Journal of Microbial Methods, 2012 Jul; 90(1):1-8. PMCID: PMC3358487
- Pinkston KL*, Gao P*, Diaz-Garcia D, Sillanpää J, Nallapareddy SR, Murray BE, and Harvey B.R. “The Fsr quorum-sensing system of Enterococcus faecalis modulates surface display of the collagen-binding MSCRAMM Ace through regulation of gelE.” Journal of Bacteriology, 2011 Sep; 193(17): 4317-4325. PMCID: PMC3165527.
- Davies-Venn CA, Angermiller B, Wilganowski N, Kwon S, Aldrich MB, Wu G, Harvey BR, and E.M. Sevick-Muraca, “Albumin-binding domain conjugate for near-infrared fluorescence lymphatic imaging,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, 2012 Jun;14(3):301-14. PMCID: PMC3346932.
- Ebert T, Smith S, Pancari G, Clark D, Hampton R, Secore S, Towne V, Fan H, Wang XM, Wu X, Ernst R, Harvey BR, Finnefrock AC, Wang F, Tan C, Durr E, Cope L, Anderson A, An Z, and T McNeely, “A fully human monoclonal antibody to Staphylococcus aureus iron regulated surface determinant B (IsdB) with functional activity in vitro and in vivo,” Hum Antibodies, 2010; 19(4):113-28. PMCID: PMC3358487
- Gao P, Pinkston KL, Nallapareddy SR, van Hoof A, Murray BE, Harvey BR. “Enterococcus faecalis rnjB is required for pilin gene expression and biofilm formation.” Journal of Bacteriology, 192(20): 5489-98, 2010. PMCID: PMC2950486.
- An Z, Forrest G, Moore G, Cukan M, Haytko P, Huang L, Vitelli S, Zhao JZ, Lu P, Hua J, Gibson CR, Harvey BR, Montgomery DL, Zaller D, Wang F, and W Strohl, “IgG2M4, an engineered antibody isotype with reduced Fc function,” MAbs, 1(6): 572-9, 2009. PMCID: PMC2791314.
- Su B, Hrin R, Harvey BR, Yang Y, Ernst RE, Hampton RA, Miller MD, Strohl WR, An Z, and DL Montgomery, “Automated High-Throughput Purification of Antibody Fragments to Facilitate Evaluation in Functional and Kinetic Based Assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, 322(1-2): 94-103, 2007. PMID: 17362979
- Harvey BR, Shanafelt A, Baburina I, Hui R, Vitone S, Iverson BL, and G Georgiou, “Engineering of Recombinant Antibody Fragments to Methamphetamine by Anchored Periplasmic Expression (APEx),” Journal of Immunological Methods, 308(1-2): 43-52, 2006. PMID: 16337958
- Sheoran AS, Chapman-Bonofiglio S, Harvey BR, Mukherjee J, Georgiou G, Donohue-Rolfe A, and S. Tzipori, “Human Antibody against Shiga Toxin 2 Administered to Piglets after the Onset of Diarrhea Due to Escherichia coli O157:H7 Prevents Fatal Systemic Complications,” Infection and Immunity, 73(8): 4607-4613, 2005. PMCID: PMC1201267.
- Harvey BR, Georgiou G, Hayhurst A, Iverson BL, and GK Rogers, “Anchored Periplasmic Expression (APEx), a Versatile Technology for the Isolation of High Affinity Antibodies from E.coli Expressed Libraries,” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 101(25): 9193-8, 2004. PMCID: PMC438952.
- Ki JJ, Kawarasaki Y, Gam JS, Harvey BR, Iverson BL, and G Georgiou, “A Periplasmic Fluorescent Reporter Protein and its Application in High-Throughput Membrane Protein Topology Analysis,” Journal of Molecular Biology, 341(4), 901-909, 2004. PMID: 15328603
- Chen G, Hayhurst A, Thomas JG, Harvey BR, Iverson BL, and G Georgiou, “Isolation of High-Affinity Ligand-Binding Proteins by Periplasmic Expression with Cytometric Screening (PECS),” Nature Biotechnology, 19(6): 537-542, 2001. PMID: 11385457