Foreign nationals may work temporarily while in the U.S. under a number of non immigrant visa categories or they may work permanently when eligible to obtain an immigrant status based on their job skills, education and work experience. 

In the navigation bars to your left related to employees, you will find more information about coming to the UTHealth to work temporarily or permanently in some of the different employment eligibility categories for working in the United States: 

Other non-immigrant visa categories commonly seen at UTHealth, which allow incidental employment under certain provisions, are addressed under the applicable visa category. In general:

    1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    2. Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    3. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT STEM)

J-2 family members of J-1 Visa Holders, spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, are entitled to J-2 classification. Spouse and children are entitled to work authorization; however, their income may not be used to support the J-1 visitor. To apply for work authorization as a J-2 nonimmigrant, the J-1 spouse or child would file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization found in the USCIS web site.