UTHealth Expert List
Michael Assel, Ph.D.
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Children’s Learning Institute, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Staff Psychologist, Dan L. Duncan Children's Neurodevelopment Clinic, Children’s Learning Institute, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
Michael Assel, Ph.D., evaluates children with a range of developmental differences and is co-investigator of several studies funded by the Texas Education Agency and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Assel specializes in learning disabilities, children’s behavior, child development, adolescent issues and behavior, pervasive developmental disorders, language delays, attention deficit disorder and the effects of early maternal interaction behaviors. Assel is also available to discuss how to talk with children about approaching storms.
Pamela Berens, M.D.
- Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
Pamela Berens, M.D., specializes in obstetrics, gynecology, birth control options, menopause and breastfeeding. She is the contributing author and editor of the Physician Pocket Guide to Breastfeeding, published by the Texas Department of Health; and contributing author of What About Me: A Girl’s Guide to Health, published by The Women’s Fund for Health, Education and Research.
Previous Interview: http://abcn.ws/pnyeGn
Richard Bradley, M.D.
- Chief of the Division of EMS and Disaster Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Colonel, Air National Guard
Richard Bradley, M.D., specializes in emergency medical services and out-of-hospital care, disaster medicine, military medicine and injury prevention.
Ian Butler, M.D.
- Professor and Director, Division of Pediatric & Adolescent Neurology, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Jacobo Geissler Distinguished Chair in West Syndrome Research
- Director, Child Neurology Residency Program
Ian J. Butler, M.D., specializes in pediatric stroke, seizures, headaches, autism, developmental disorders, neuromuscular disorders, Tourette Syndrome, movement disorders, and neurocardiogenic syncope with dysautonomia. He can also discuss neurological complications from infectious diseases. He is an attending physician at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital and a consulting neurologist at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and Shriners Hospital for Children-Houston.
Previous Interview: http://bit.ly/IL9GZ0
Carmel Dyer, M.D.
- Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Chair in Gerontology, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Professor and Director, Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Executive Director of the Consortium on Aging, UTHealth
- Associate Dean for Harris County Programs
- Chief of Staff, Harris Health System Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital
- Director, UT Center for Healthy Aging
Carmel Dyer, M.D., specializes in the care of older adults and is nationally recognized for her work in elder mistreatment, financial exploitation of the elderly and elder self neglect.
Robert Emery, Dr. P.H.
- Vice President of Safety, Health, Environment and Risk Management, UTHealth
- Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Health, UTHealth School of Public Health
Robert Emery, Dr.PH., specializes in safety issues associated with infectious disease outbreaks, disaster preparedness, radiation safety hazards, industrial safety, occupational health risks and disaster response.
Previous Interview: http://go.uth.edu/GMA_Xrays
Susan Fisher-Hoch, M.D.
- Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Sciences, UTHealth School of Public Health Brownsville Regional Campus
Susan P. Fisher-Hoch, M.D., is one of the world's leading virologists. Fisher-Hoch is able to discuss the influenza virus, viral outbreaks, tropical medicine, diabetes, health disparities, medical virology and infectious diseases such as hepatitis C, typhoid and hemorrhagic fever.
Previous Interview: http://go.uth.edu/ABC_Ebola
Lex Frieden, M.D., LL.D. (hon)
- Professor of Biomedical Informatics, UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics
- UT Chancellor’s Health Fellow on Disability
- Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (adjunct), Baylor College of Medicine
- Director of Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU), TIRR Memorial Hermann
Lex Frieden, M.D., LL.D. (hon), specializes in disability informatics, independent living, community-based service systems, disability rights, rehabilitation technology and robotics, consumer empowerment and health care access, effectiveness and costs.
James McCarthy, M.D.
- Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Nancy, Clive and Pierce Runnels Distinguished Professorship in Emergency Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
James McCarthy, M.D., can discuss adult and pediatric care, post-disaster related emergencies, and medical needs of patients with chronic medical needs during disasters. He can also discuss common minor emergencies, heat safety as well as injury prevention.
Luis Ostrosky, M.D.
- Professor, Internal Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Associate Director, Infectious Diseases Fellowship, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
- Medical Director for Epidemiology, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
Luis Z. Ostrosky, M.D., specializes in infectious diseases, including Ebola, hospital epidemiology, infection control, and fungal infections. Ostrosky is available for interviews in English and Spanish.
Elda Ramirez, Ph.D., R.N.
- Professor of Clinical Nursing, Department of Acute and Continuing Care, UTHealth School of Nursing
- Nurse Practitioner, Department of Emergency Medicine, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
Elda Ramirez, Ph.D., R.N., specializes in adult, pediatric and geriatric care. She is available to discuss acute care, emergency care; heat exhaustion and dehydration, common minor emergencies, injury prevention and Hispanic health issues. Ramirez is available for interviews in English and Spanish.
Previous Interview: http://bit.ly/KhxbV1