Motorcycle Parking Policy
UTHealth Auxiliary Enterprises Parking Services
This information is to define the policy applied by University of Texas Health Science Center Houston (UTHSC-H) to manage parking of motorcycles and other similar vehicles on UTHSC-H campuses. The intent is to provide parking at a reasonable cost for motorcycles and other alternative motorized vehicles, and to ensure that they can navigate safely through the campus to a designated motorcycle parking location.
“Motorcycle” means a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is equipped with a rider’s saddle and designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground.
“Moped” means a motor-driven cycle that cannot attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the engine of which:
(A) cannot produce more than two-brake horsepower; and
(B) if an internal combustion engine, has a piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and connects to a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift gears.
• Motorcycles / mopeds must have valid parking permits to park in UTHSC-H parking lots and or parking garages. This policy applies to all motorcycles/mopeds parked at any UTHSC-H owned or operated parking facilities.
• UTHSC-H provides parking areas for visitors, employees, and others. While the majority of this parking is designated for use by motorists, some areas have been set aside for motorcycles. These areas are clearly identified and motorcycles will be allowed to park there.
• Motorcyclists must park in accordance with regulations of both UTHSC-H and governmental agencies. They must also display all relevant permits.
Motorcycles are not allowed to park in certain locations because of the safety issues of going up/down ramps and navigating around gate arms on sloped surfaces.
Motorcycle permits are not valid at reserved, handicapped areas, loading docks, or other areas not designated for motorcycles.
• Motorcycles cannot be parked for more than 48 hours without moving. Motorcycles parked in any area not designated for motorcycle parking may be cited and / or towed.
PERMITS / DECALS
Motorcycle permits authorize use of space specifically designated for motorcycles only in areas set aside and marked for motorcycle parking. The permit must be affixed to the windshield, headlight, or front fork of the vehicle. A parking decal does not guarantee the holder a specific parking space, but the opportunity to park in a designated unreserved area.
MOTORCYCLE PARKING LOCATIONS
Motorcycles may park only in the locations that are identified with the sign authorizing parking.
MOTORCYCLE PARKING RATES
• For Monthly Contract Rates Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Visitors will be required to pay the posted daily rates in the Parking Office.
• Rates are subject to change.
Note: Regular contracts parking holders who wish to occasionally drive a motorcycle should contact the UTHSC-H Contract Parking Office for additional information.
UTHSC-H personnel may issue citations to vehicles parked without a valid permit. Two violations will result in removal and or towing without warning and at owners expense.
PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A MOTORCYCLE PERMIT
The application process for a motorcycle permit is the same as the process for a parking card except the individual must obtain the permit from the Contract Parking Office. To obtain a motorcycle permit, the applicant or institution must complete a standard UTHSC-H parking contract and take it to either Parking Office. If the parker already holds a parking contract with UTHSC-H, the applicant should notify the parking office and include their existing parking card number in the area indicated “Parking Card Number”.