The Pre-Award teams
To set up a project account efficiently and effectively, the Pre-Award teams must have a complete file on the project by the time they receive the notice of award or subcontract from the funding agency. A complete file contains the following information:
- A completed and signed Review and Approval (R&A) form.
- A complete copy of the application, if applicable, sent to the funding agency or sponsor.
- A budget (and budget justification, if required) to match the award amount. This includes an outgoing subcontract, if applicable.
- Current approvals, covering the start date of the budget period, for all applicable assurances, including human subjects, use of animals, biological agents/DNA, biohazards, and radioactive materials.
Once the appropriate Pre-Award team has the information listed above, they will notify PAF to set up the account. If the file is not complete when the notification is sent to PAF, it will take longer to get the account set up.
To set up an account, the PAF team completes the following steps:
- Review the request to set up the account to make sure all elements required for setup have been completed.
- Check the R&A form for assurances, multiple investigators, multiple departments/schools, cost sharing and appropriate indirect cost rates, and, if necessary, indirect cost waivers to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all information, as well as compliance with institutional policy.
- Review the budget to make sure it matches the award and that all budget information is accurate and complete.
- Determine the type of fund, the school, and the organization to establish the correct account number.
- Determine if the work is taking place on-campus or off-campus to ensure an accurate indirect cost rate has been assessed (see HOOP 69).
- Review and understand all funding agency, institutional, and contractual policies and guidelines in order to administer the account appropriately.
- Set up the UTH grants panels in PeopleSoft FMS. This includes completing the Attributes and Miscellaneous Note sections of the panels, which provide PIs and departmental staff with a summary of the terms and conditions (guidelines) for managing the award.
- Complete a budget transaction in FMS to establish both the expense budget and the revenue budget.
- Code the award check, if necessary, to identify the right account to receive the funds.
- Send an email to the PI (or organizational manager) and other appropriate personnel, including billing and development, informing them that the account has been set up.
- Update the Financial Status Report (FSR) log to ensure that the new account is included in the reporting schedule.
- Scan the PAF team setup documents into the webtop imaging system to establish an official electronic record of the account.
Gift Accounts and Endowment Accounts
To set up a Gift or Endowment Account, the PAF team must receive the necessary information from the Development Office, including a copy of the donor documentation.
Designated, Service, and Auxiliary Accounts
To set up a Designated Account (MSRDP or Non-MSRDP), Service Account, or Auxiliary Account, the PAF team needs approval from the designated representative in Finance to establish the new account and budget. In some cases, a UBIT form for IRS purposes will be required. Also required is a memo from the department with the following information:
- The account title.
- The account manager’s name.
- The program (function).
- The source of revenue (how the revenue will be generated).
- A detailed expense budget for the current fiscal year.
- A three-year business plan detailing revenue and expenses.
- The FMS Dept ID to which the account will be assigned.
An MRSDP Account is a Medical Services Research Development Plan Account. Monies in an MSRDP Account come from patient care. Monies for a Non-MSRDP Account, therefore, come from sources other than patient care (e.g., services, special activities, etc.).
Clinical Drug Studies and Service Agreements
The PI and/or department administrator must contact Pre-Award or Legal Affairs, as appropriate, to begin the process of executing an agreement. Once all of the information above has been received, Pre-Award will notify PAF set up the account. If Legal Affairs handles the agreement, then the department is responsible for sending the information PAF. If PAF does not receive all the necessary information, it will take longer to set up the account.
Key Ingredients to Minimize Rework and Cycle Time
A key ingredient in making sure that your grant account is set up efficiently, accurately, and timely is making sure that Pre-Award or Legal Affairs has a complete file on the grant or contract by the time they receive the award notice or subcontract from the funding agency. A complete file contains the following information:
- A completed and signed Review and Approval Form.
- A complete copy of the grant application, if applicable, sent to the funding agency or sponsor.
- A budget (and budget justification, if applicable) to match the award amount. This includes an outgoing subcontract, if applicable.
- Current approvals, covering the start date of the budget period, for all applicable assurances including, human subjects, use of animals, biological agents/DNA, biohazards, or radioactive materials.