Doctoral Dual Degree
The Ph.D../M.P.H. dual degree program combines the M.P.H. from the School of Public Health with the Ph.D. degree from the School of Biomedical Informatics. The training and curriculum in the dual degree program will provide students and future leaders in public health the necessary skills to be leaders in the field of Public Health Informatics. The dual degree program provides an integrated curriculum that includes a number of shared courses as well as a practicum experience and/or the thesis topic in the area of public health informatics. The selection of specific academic programs, and scheduling of specific courses, fieldwork, and practica for individual students is guided by an advisory committee, which includes faculty from both institutions.
Students in the dual degree program must be admitted separately to each institution and must meet the requirements of each institution for its respective degree. Admission to one program does not assure admission to the other. Students in the dual degree program will receive a diploma from each degree program after meeting the individual requirements of each program.
Doctor of Philosophy in Health Informatics Program Requirements
Catalog 2009-2012 Version
|Required Courses |
PH 2610 Fundamentals of Epidemiology
PH 1110 Social and Behavioral Aspects of Community Health
PH 1690 Foundations if Biostatistics
HI 6001 Knowledge Acquisition
HI 5311 Foundations of Health Information Sciences II (3hrs)
HI 5312 Foundations of Health Information Sciences III (3hrs)
PH 9997 Practicum in Public Health (3hrs)
PH 9998 Written Paper Option (3hrs)
|6 hrs minimum
|| 9 hrs minimum
|| 6 hrs minimum
|| 63 hours
Masters of Public Health Requirements
16 hours must satisfy the core courses in the discipline. Core courses must be a letter grade. The core courses that you must take are the following:
- PH 2610 Introduction to Epidemiology
- PH 1690 Foundations of Biostatistics OR PH 1700 Intermediate Biostatistics OR HI 5352 Statistical Solutions for Health Informatics Problems
- PHM 3715 Introduction to Management and Policy Sciences
- PHWM 2120 Man's Impact on the Environment OR PHM 2110 Overview of Environmental Health
- PHM 1110 Social Behavioral Aspects of Community Health OR PHM 1111 Health Promotion Theory and Methods I
Summary of Number of Hours Required for Both Degrees
- 45 Masters of Public Health
- 93 Doctor of Philosophy in Health Informatics
- 16 Shared hours
- 122 Total hours for both degrees
Specified HI courses may be substituted with other HI courses with the approval of your advising committee.
SPH will not accept any transfer credit toward their certificate or degrees.