Awards are reviewed and, if necessary, negotiated by Pre-award to ensure the terms and conditions are acceptable to the University. Once the terms and conditions of the award have been negotiated, Pre-award will accept the award on behalf of the University.
Pre-award will send the PI a copy of the NOGA or finalized sponsored agreement for review and approval, as well as assist in collecting the necessary documents needed by the Post-Award Finance team (PAF) to setup and manage the account. As part of Pre-award’s responsibility, the allowability of pre-award costs will be reviewed and finalized prior to sending the account setup request to PAF. All pending items (including any required approvals or assurances) must be complete prior to account set-up.
In order to limit retroactive personnel actions and cost transfers, an account may be established for clinical trial projects prior to receiving the first payment. These guarantee accounts are established as cash-basis accounts with zero budgets. Schools/departments requesting an expenditure budget on a clinical trial project do so at their own risk. If payments are not received equal to or greater than the expenditure budget established, the expenses incurred that exceed the revenue will be transferred to an eligible account. If effort reports have been certified, expenses may only be transferred to a departmental or discretionary account. Upon account setup notification by PAF to the department, the responsible business official will request that an expenditure budget be established equal to one-third (1/3) of the total anticipated revenue from the study. The request should include the budget pools to be established. These accounts should be monitored closely by the department to ensure that revenue covers or exceeds expenditures.
The process begins with Pre-award receiving an agreement from a sponsor and ends with PAF creating an account in FMS.
Upon receiving, negotiating, and accepting an award or modification to an existing award, a Sponsored Projects Specialist (SPS) in Pre-award will begin the initiation of the account set-up process.
To set up an account efficiently and effectively, Pre-award must have a complete file, including:
- The Award Letter/Subcontract Agreement and any accompanying award amendments.
- The completed and signed R&A Form.
- A complete PDF copy of the grant application that was submitted to the funding agency or sponsor.
- A budget and budget justification to match the Notice of Grant Award. This includes an outgoing subcontract, if applicable. The SPS may request a detailed budget for new and renewals. In some instances a detailed budget may be requested for continuation awards. Appropriate and detailed explanations and/or agency approval should be provided for any and all uncommon costs such as food, rent, and office supplies.
- Current approvals (title on approvals must match project title on application/award documentation), covering the start date of the budget period, for all applicable assurances, including: human subjects, use of animals. biological agents, hazardous chemicals, and radioactive materials.
- Conflict of Interest Certification forms for all personnel on the project.
- Assurance the PI has completed Human Subjects Protection training.
Once Pre-award has the information listed above, they will notify the PAF team to set up the account. Note: If the file is not complete when the notification is sent to PAF, it will take longer to get the account set up.
To set up an account, the PAF team completes the following steps:
- Review the request to set up the account to make sure all elements required for setup have been completed.
- Check the R&A Form for assurances, multiple investigators, multiple departments/schools, cost sharing and appropriate Facilities & Administration rates.
- Review the budget to make sure it matches the award, as well as to make sure that all budget information is accurate and complete.
- Determine the type of fund, the school, and the organization to establish the correct account number.
- Determine if the work is taking place on- or off-campus to ensure an accurate indirect cost rate has been assessed.
- Review all funding agency, institutional, and contractual policies and guidelines in order to administer the account appropriately.
- Set up the UTH Grants Panels in PeopleSoft FMS. This includes completing the Attributes and Miscellaneous Note sections of the panels, which provide the PI and departmental staff with a summary of the terms and conditions, or guidelines, for managing the award.
- Complete a budget transaction in FMS to establish both the expense budget and the revenue budget.
- Prepare a journal entry in FMS (except for cash-basis accounts) to recognize revenue for the new award.
- Code the award check, if necessary, to identify the right account to receive the funds.
- Send an email to the PI or organizational manager and other appropriate personnel, including billing and development, informing them that the account has been set up.
- Update the Financial Status Report (FSR) log to ensure that the new account is included in the reporting schedule.
- Scan the account file into the Documentum imaging system to establish an official electronic record of the account.