International SOS Insurance for Travelers on University Business
International SOS is a comprehensive, 24-hour medical and emergency response organization whose services are available at no cost while traveling on official university business or at a discounted rate for traveling companions or faculty, staff or and students traveling abroad for leisure.
As of April 10, 2010, all students, faculty, and staff traveling internationally on university related business or sponsored projects are required to register their trip details with International SOS prior to travel.
International SOS works on your behalf to coordinate with your insurance provider in the United States and providers abroad to ensure that you receive any assistance should the need arise.
Registration allows International SOS to proactively assist in times of crisis.
- Reservations confirmed and ticketed through a UT contract travel agency are automatically registered
- Reservations confirmed and ticketed through an alternate source must be registered through the International SOS web site, Personal Record Locator by selecting Add Trip
- Log in to http://www.internationalsos.com using the UT System Membership ID 11BSGC000037. Follow the steps outlined in the Registration–Personal Travel Locator–Add Trip to add or modify details of an existing trip or add a new trip
- Print an International SOS contact card to carry with you for the duration of travel or call 713-500-8405 to obtain a plastic pre-printed ID card.
Summary of Program Benefits
- Pre-trip health information (e.g. vaccination and medical alerts)
- Emergency and routine medical assistance to include assistance in finding health care providers and hospitals
- Access to remote-site medical clinics
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies
- Medical claims assistance
- Medical monitoring
- Emergency medical evacuation assistance
- Medically supervised repatriation
- Companion Ticket
- Repatriation of mortal remains
- Online travel security information about your destination
- Access to security crisis centers
- Safety/Security evacuation assistance
- Lost document assistance (passport, visa)
- Legal referrals
- Translations and interpreters
International SOS and Blue Cross/Blue Shield Coverage
Click here to view information regarding International SOS and Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage. Remember to contact International SOS first while traveling abroad.
International SOS place restrictions on the evacuation service provided from locations classified as Extreme Medical Utilization countries (e.g. Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Cuba and Haiti). For any country considered an Extreme Medical Utilization country, there is an additional fee to insure medical evacuations and repatriations from these four countries. They also place restrictions on evacuation services provided from locations classified as Extreme Security Risk countries (e.g. Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia). For any country considered an Extreme Security Risk. International SOS will evacuate only on a fee-for-service basis. In both cases the University is required to advise International SOS of travel to these countries in advance. International SOS has stated that they will respond if that occurs, but evacuation would be conducted on a “best-effort” basis without the guarantees afforded to UT when traveling to other countries.
Payment of Services
- If needed, UTHealth will work with International S0S to provide pre-payment for services required.
- Upon return, the traveler will complete the medical insurance claim forms and payment requirements with the assistance of International S0S, UTHealth and the applicable insurance provider.
International S0S offers different types of individual assistance plans. UT System employees and family members receive a 20% discount for leisure travel coverage.
- Click on the FAQ link and refer to the question pertaining to family members and personal travel
- Or, call 1-800-523-8662 to talk with an International SOS representative to secure coverage. Mention that you are employed by the University of Texas Health Science Center under the University of Texas System program (Member ID 11BSGC000037) to obtain the 20% discount.
Please contact Diane Collard at 713-500-8405 for further details on the program. If not available, please contact Ronda Mullane or Erica Torres at 713-500-8400.