Student Payment of Tuition and Fees, Term Withdrawals, Refunds and Repayments
Policy Number: 57
Student payment of tuition and fees, term withdrawals, refunds and repayments
- Date Reviewed:
- January 2015
- Responsible Office:
- Office of the Registrar, Bursar's Office, and Student Financial Services
- Responsible Executive:
- Vice President, Finance and Business Services; Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer
I. POLICY AND GENERAL STATEMENT
A. Tuition and Fees Payment
Students must pay all tuition and fees at the time of registration, or they must register and make the first payment on an installment plan accepted by the Bursar’s Office. Students who have not made payments will not be allowed to attend classes, with the exception of students whose tuition and fees are paid by scholarships or sponsored contracts from private organizations, governmental agencies or foreign governments.
Delays in the receipt of monies from sponsors will not constitute an acceptable reason for non-payment. If The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (“university”) does not receive payment from a sponsor within 90 days, the student will be required to make the payment. Student payments will then be refunded upon receipt of collected funds from the sponsor.
The following actions may be taken against the student in the event of non-payment of tuition and fees:
- The student’s account will be placed on HOLD status.
- The student may be barred from classes until full payment is made.
- The student who fails to make payment prior to the end of the term may not receive credit for the work done that term.
- The student who fails to make payment on or before the 20th class day of the term may be dropped from all classes and barred from re-enrollment until the following term.
- The student may be barred from re-admission until full payment is made.
- The student's grades, official transcript, and certifications of enrollment may be withheld.
- Any degree to which the student would normally be entitled may be withheld.
- Other collection activities may be pursued as required.
B. Term Withdrawals and Refunds
Tuition and mandatory fees will be assessed in accordance with the Texas Education Code. The Refund Policy for dropping classes and withdrawing from the university is posted on the Office of the Registrar’s web site and the Bursar’s website.
C. Federal Student Aid Withdrawals, Refunds and Repayments
Refunds and repayments from institutional and federal student aid funds will be made in accordance with the Student Withdrawal, Refund and Repayment policy posted on the Student Financial Services website.
- Office of the Registrar (questions concerning tuition and fees)
- Bursar's Office (questions concerning a student's account)
- Student Financial Services (questions concerning Title IV Student Financial Aid)