Skip Navigation and Go To Content
Handbook of Operating Procedures

Student Employment Appointments

Policy Number: 167


Student Appointments



Date Reviewed:
August 2021
Responsible Office:
Appropriate Dean's Office
Responsible Executive:
Appropriate Dean


The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston ("University") offers student employment appointment opportunities for individuals who are enrolled in a degree or certification program at the University. Since the student's primary objectives at the University are academic, the dean or designee of the school in which the student is enrolled is responsible for authorizing student employment appointments under the terms of this policy. Opportunities of this kind are subject to the availability of funds.

Students with employment appointments do not accrue paid vacation or sick leave. The time between semesters or academic terms generally is considered an active part of the training period and is not considered to be vacation or holiday.  They are also excluded from participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and the Optional Retirement Program. Students with employment appointments may be subject to other applicable employment related policies. Students with student employment appointments of at least 50 percent time for four and one-half months or more become eligible to participate in the University group insurances and UTFLEX. Participation in the University group insurances is subject to the availability of funds. 

Current National Institutes of Health/National Research Service Awards (NIH/NRSA) policy allows student trainees appointed on institutional training grants (T32, T34, T35, TL1 and the NSRA component of T90), and on individual research training fellowships (F30, F31, F32, and F33) to receive stipends for up to 60 calendar days (equivalent to 8 work weeks) of parental leave per year for the adoption or the birth of a child when those in comparable training positions at the grantee organization have access to this level of paid leave for this purpose.  Graduate students appointed to at least 50% time for four and one-half months who believe they may be eligible for parental leave should discuss eligibility with the appropriate Dean’s Office.

Students otherwise not eligible for in-state tuition rates who are employed as student assistants with academic duties in teaching or research programs of the University for at least 50 percent time on or before the official census date of an academic term are eligible for in-state tuition rates for that term if their employment relates to the student's degree program. Employment must be for the duration of the period of enrollment for which the in-state tuition is awarded.

Note: Students may be employed either as student employment appointees (see the Student Job Titles listed on the Human Resources web site) or as classified employees (see Classified Compensation Plan). Alternatively, students may receive financial support in the form of a stipend payment. Students receiving a stipend payment, regardless of their percent effort appointment, are not eligible for participation in the University’s group insurances. For additional information on stipends, see HOOP Policy 140 Stipends.

Student employment appointments are to be distinguished from regular classified employment opportunities within the University which are classified according to the Classified Compensation Plan.  A student who desires to be considered for a regular classified position with the University must apply on the same competitive basis as any other applicant and comply with all the terms and conditions of regular employment.


Procedures for initiating a request for a student employment appointment vary among schools. Inquiries should be directed to the office of the appropriate dean.

Student employment appointments are accomplished through the same automated processes as any other appointment. The personnel action transaction must have all required approvals before the student can be officially appointed. The student must complete the pre-employment process with Human Resources and attend New Employee Orientation. All non-US students must clear their employment eligibility with the Office of International Affairs before beginning any employment. (Refer to HOOP Policy 14 Employment Eligibility.)


    • Appropriate Dean's Office