Policy Number: 191
- Date Reviewed:
- September 2022
- Responsible Office:
- Human Resources; Office of Faculty Affairs and Development
- Responsible Executive:
- Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer; Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer
I. POLICY AND GENERAL STATEMENT
No person employed by The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston ("University") shall be required to retire because of age except as permitted by law.
The University may employ a person who has retired under the Teacher Retirement System of Texas ("TRS") or the Optional Retirement Program ("ORP") if:
- the President, or designee, determines the employment is in the best interest of the University and,
- a person retired under TRS must have been retired for at least 30 days before the effective date of reemployment; or
- a person retired under the ORP may be rehired after retirement without a break in service.
Faculty appointments to such service shall be without tenure and for not more than one academic year at a time. The notice provisions of HOOP Policy 44 Faculty Reappointment and Non-reappointment shall not apply to nonrenewal of such appointments. If the President or designee determines it is in the best interest of the University, the University may offer reappointment to such service.
Retired employees are also entitled to certain privileges as outlined in this policy.
Retirement: withdrawal from employment with The University of Texas System or the University with a retirement benefit or enrollment in retiree health insurance.
A. Employment of Retired Employees
The President has delegated the authority to the hiring manager to determine if it is in the best interest of the University to hire a retired employee.
B. Retired Employee Privileges
Retired employees, whether or not rehired by the university, are granted certain privileges upon their retirement as detailed below.
Faculty: Retired faculty members who hold the title Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, or Instructor at the time of retirement may have library privileges, the option to participate in the activities of the university and may obtain a faculty identification card.
All Retired Employees: Any retired employee may purchase membership at the Recreation Center and may participate in other opportunities and activities available through The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Retiree Organization.
- Employee Relations
- Employee Benefits
- Office of Faculty Affairs and Development