Policy Number: 220
Complaints by Students
- Date Reviewed:
- March 2016
- Responsible Office:
- Office of the Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer, Applicable Dean’s Offices
- Responsible Executive:
- Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer; Deans
I. POLICY AND GENERAL STATEMENT
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (“university”) encourages fair, efficient and equitable solutions for problems or disputes arising out of the educational process in accordance with applicable university or school policies and procedures.
This policy applies to formal academic and non-academic student complaints of the types listed below. This policy and all related policies and procedures are applicable to all students, including those enrolled in online and/or distance education courses or programs.
- Complaints regarding the general or academic misconduct of another student;
- Complaints regarding discrimination and/or harassment, including sexual misconduct;
- Complaints regarding disability accommodations;
- Complaints regarding student educational records;
- Complaints regarding grades or grading;
- Complaints regarding other issues related to central student services; and
- Complaints regarding other issues related to individual schools.
Written student complaint: a properly submitted complaint made by a student in writing pursuant to an existing university or school policy or procedure.
Student: A person who (1) is enrolled or registered at the university, (2) is accepted for admission or re-admission to the university, (3) was previously enrolled at the university in a prior semester or summer session and is eligible to continue enrollment in the semester or summer session that immediately follows, or (4) met any of these criteria when the conduct giving rise to the complaint occurred.
A. Complaints regarding the general or academic misconduct of another student
Policies and procedures governing complaints regarding the general or academic misconduct of students are defined in HOOP Policy 186 Student Conduct and Discipline.
B. Complaints regarding discrimination and/or harassment, including sexual misconduct
The General Information Section of the UTHealth Catalog identifies several policies intended to ensure the fair and equitable treatment of all members of the university community. The procedures for filing a formal written complaint regarding discrimination and/or harassment, including sexual misconduct, are contained in the following HOOP policies:
- HOOP 183, Nondiscrimination, Anti-Harassment and Equal Opportunity
- HOOP 59, Prohibition of Sexual Harassment & Sexual Misconduct
C. Appeals regarding disability accommodations
The procedures for filing an appeal related to disability accommodations are contained in the following HOOP policies:
D. Complaints regarding student educational records
HOOP 129, Educational Records provides information on filing complaints related to student educational records.
E. Complaints regarding grades or grading
The processing of formal grade appeals is the responsibility of the school that administers the course. Links to specific school policies and procedures related to grade grievances are listed below:
- School of Biomedical Informatics
- School of Dentistry
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- McGovern Medical School
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
F. Complaints regarding other issues related to central student services
Students who have complaints regarding any of the central student service offices listed below should follow the procedures governing complaints within that office.
- Student Financial Services
- Auxiliary Enterprises (Housing, Food Service, Shuttle, Recreation Center, Parking, Student Health and Counseling Services)
G. Complaints regarding other issues related to individual schools
Students who have complaints related to individual schools that are not covered by the policies and procedures listed above should follow the policies and procedures governing student complaints, grievance, and appeals within their school. Students should contact the student affairs office in each school for additional information
- School of Biomedical Informatics Office of Academic Affairs
- School of Dentistry Office of Student & Alumni Affairs
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Contact
- McGovern Medical School Office of Admissions and Student Affairs
- School of Nursing Office of Student Affairs
- School of Public Health Office of Academic & Student Services
H. Complaints to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
If a student exhausts the university complaint process, he or she may also be able to submit a complaint to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Information on the types of complaints the THECB investigates and the appropriate complaint forms can be found on the THECB’s Student Complaints website.
I. Complaints to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC) Against SACSCOC or its Accredited Institutions
If a student exhausts the university complaint process, he or she may also be able to submit a complaint to SACSCOC. Information on the types of complaints SACSCOC investigates and the appropriate complaint forms are available on the SACSCOC website.
- Office of the Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer