Academic Program Changes
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC), the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), and The University of Texas System (UT System) have requirements in place for notification and/or approval of any academic program changes in UTHealth Houston’s six schools. The UTHealth Houston Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) under the umbrella of the Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer is responsible for communicating all changes on behalf of the UTHealth Houston schools to the organizations noted above and maintaining a comprehensive record of all UTHealth Houston academic offerings.
Under HOOP 223 Academic Program and Substantive Change Policy UTHealth Houston Schools wishing to make academic program changes must first notify OAA who will advise if the change is substantive or non-substantive in nature which will determine the level of institutional, UT System, THECB, or regional accrediting (SACSCOC) approvals. All notifications should be submitted via email to the OAA Academic Program Change mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Program Changes include, but are not limited to (see HOOP 223):
- New or modified affiliation agreements with other universities (domestic or international)
- New or modified program agreements with other universities (domestic or international)
- New or modified degree or credit-bearing certificate programs, at any level
- Phase-outs of existing degree or credit-bearing certificate programs (Teach-Out Plans must be included for degree programs)
- Changes to semester credit hours required for existing degree or credit-bearing certificate programs
- Changes in the percentage of course offerings by distance education for degree completion
- Changes to areas of concentration within existing degree programs
- School, department or division name changes
- Department additions or deletions (Changes to the Schools academic profile)
- School campus address location updates
- Schools wishing to enact an academic program change should submit an email notice no less than one academic year in advance prior to proposed implementation at the school, with the exception of new doctoral programs, which require a two-year advance notice. Email notices are to be sent to the Academic Program Changes mailbox, GM: email@example.com
- OAA staff will review the submitted information and provide guidance on the timing and requirements for review and approval. The nature of the request determines whether notification or formal approval to SACSCOC, THECB, and/or UT System is necessary.
- OAA will submit all notifications and/or requests for approval on behalf of the schools to UT System, THECB, and/or SACSCOC.
THECB Public Universities and Health-Related Institutions
SACSCOC Substantive Changes Page