In print publications and on the web, the appropriate first reference for the institution is:
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth Houston)
- The “T” is always capitalized in The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
- “At Houston” is part of the formal name of the institution
On second reference and thereafter, UTHealth Houston is the preferred proper name.
- UTHealth Houston has no space between “UT” and “Health.”
- UTHealth Houston may also be used in headlines.
For Houston TV broadcasts, UTHealth Houston is preferred for use on Chyrons or supers. For national audiences, the preferred usage is one of the following:
- UTHealth Houston
Note: We no longer use UTHSC-H or UT-Houston as short references for the university.
When referencing an individual school or UT Physicians, which are part of UTHealth Houston, the reference should be linked to UTHealth Houston. Options include:
- McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston
- Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth Houston
- UTHealth School of Public Health
- UTHealth Houston School of Biomedical Informatics
- UTHealth Houston School of Dentistry
- UT Physicians, the clinical practice of McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston
Recommendations for co-branding with UTHealth Houston’s primary teaching hospitals:
If applicable, in print, please reference both UTHealth Houston and the primary teaching hospital.
- Example: Dr. John Smith, a professor at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston, is an attending physician at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
For TV broadcasts, the preferred use on Chyrons and supers is:
- UTHealth Houston/Memorial Hermann
- UTHealth Houston/Children’s Memorial Hermann
- UTHealth Houston/Harris Health
- UTHealth Houston/UT Physicians (research)
- UT Physicians/UTHealth Houston (clinics)
Established in 1972 by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth Houston) is Texas’ resource for health care education, innovation, scientific discovery and excellence in patient care. The most comprehensive academic health center in the UT System and the U.S. Gulf Coast region, UTHealth Houston is home to Jane and Robert Cizik School of Nursing, John P. and Kathrine G. McGovern Medical School, and schools of biomedical informatics, biomedical sciences, dentistry, and public health. UTHealth Houston includes UTHealth Houston Harris County Psychiatric Center, as well as the growing clinical practices UT Physicians, UT Dentists, and UT Health Services. The university’s primary teaching hospitals are Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, and Harris Health Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital. For more information, visit www.uth.edu.
Key contact for: Crisis and Emergency Communications, Reputation/Ethics/Legal, HIPAA/Patient Privacy, School Leadership, UT Physicians Leadership and Administration, UTHealth Houston Harris County Psychiatric Center and John S. Dunn Behavioral Sciences Center, and Stem Cell Research.
Jeannette Sanchez, Senior Media Relations Specialist
Key contact for: School of Public Health, OB-GYN/Women’s Health, The Fetal Center, Cardiology, Children’s Learning Institute, Dermatology, UTHealth Houston Consortium on Aging, and Geriatric and Palliative Care Medicine.
Caitie Barkley, Media Relations Specialist
Key contact for: UT Physicians, UTHealth Houston Neurosciences, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Endocrinology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and UTHealth Houston Institute for Stroke and Neurological Disorders.
Halle Jones, Media Relations Specialist
Key contact for: Infectious Diseases, School of Biomedical Informatics, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emergency Medicine, Trauma, Critical Care, and Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology.
Angela Douglas, Social Media Specialist
- Cizik School of Nursing
- School of Dentistry
- MD Anderson UTHealth Houston Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- General Pediatrics
- Imaging (Radiology)
- Family and Community Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine
The UTHealth Houston Media Relations Team is available 24/7 to help journalists develop story ideas, identify the best news sources and arrange interviews on topics including innovative patient care, cutting-edge research and breaking news in health care.