Safety Tips at UTHealth Houston
Keep yourself and others safe with these practical tips!
While safety is everybody’s responsibility, UT Police does a great job at keeping the Texas Medical Center alerted and safe. In cases of suspicious activity or a safety event within the Texas Medical Center, they may be reached at (713) 792-2890 to report these events, or be sure to obtain the contact information for your public safety team within your work location. It is important to keep in mind that UTHealth Houston not only expands within the Texas Medical Center, but sprawls across our city and into surrounding areas via various UT Physicians clinics. While UT Police is not stationed in these various locations, they do have important tips to keep in mind to ensure our safety.
The following safety tips have been provided by The University of Texas Police at Houston.
Protect Yourself at Work
- Lock your office door every time you leave, and secure your office and belongings.
- Don’t leave valuables such as wallets, purses, cell phones or tablets in plain view.
- Require identification before admitting someone unfamiliar into your room or office.
- Don’t walk alone at night. Stay in lighted walkways, or ask the building or hospital security for an escort to your vehicle.
- Keep emergency numbers near your work phone and save them in your cell phone’s address book.
Protect Your Property
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, park in well-lit areas and don’t leave your vehicle running while unattended.
- Don’t leave valuables such as wallets, purses, cell phones or tablets in plain view. Avoid storing valuables or shopping bags in the trunk after you park. Instead, stow them prior to leaving your location.
- Be cognizant of your surroundings and the people around you, especially if you’re alone or it’s dark.
- Avoid using headphones, cell phones or other mobile devices while walking to your vehicle or to your office.
- If someone in a vehicle stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. Don’t approach the vehicle.
- Hold your purse tightly, close to your body. Keep your wallet in a front, buttoned hip or inside coat pocket.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away.
- Think twice before fighting and don’t approach or confront a suspect. Protect yourself above protecting any possessions or property. Property can be replaced – your life can’t.
Protect Our Buildings and Properties
- Maintaining a secure environment is in the hands of each and every individual.
- Display your ID badge at all times and be attentive to prevent anyone from following you into a secured area after you’ve used your ID badge.
- Don’t allow someone in if they don’t belong. If you encounter anyone who disregards your attempts to keep a building or property secure, alert a public safety officer.
Emergency Number: 911
Non-emergency calls: 713-792-2890
Community Outreach: 713-563-7794, firstname.lastname@example.org
UTP-H Website: https://www.utph.org/