Skip Navigation and Go To Content
News from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston

Stories from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)

Navigation and Search
Photo of Michelle Urbina with her daughter Caroline. Photo is by Maricruz Kwon/UTHealth

Making healthy options first choice for the whole family

When eating out, Caroline Urbina chooses grilled chicken over chicken nuggets, broccoli instead of fries, and water rather than soda without hesitation.

The Dugger Family

Two heartbeats, one limitless love

Christine and Blake Dugger were elated to learn they would be adding another child to their family of four, and they were astonished when an ultrasound detected an extra heartbeat. Twins were on the way, and the Duggers felt divinely blessed. But their enchanting dream turned into a harrowing nightmare when deadly conditions threatened the lives of both twins. In a desperate search for answers, Christine journeyed 2,000 miles to visit a renowned UTHealth maternal-fetal medicine physician, whose surgical expertise and compassion created the best outcome — and delivered the ultimate gift.

Hurricane & flood: Part I

Hurricane & flood: Part I

The 2019 Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and runs through November 30. Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predict a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season, and a 30 percent chance of a below-normal season. Learn how to prepare before the storm and what to do after the storm has arrived.

Photo of elderly woman looking out of a window. Photo credit is Getty Images

Clinical trial assesses telephone-based care program for at-risk homebound elderly

Something as simple as a phone call could be a way to alert health care providers and caregivers that an elderly person suffering from dementia may be spiraling down to dangerous self-neglect, according to researchers at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth).

How food can help prevent chronic inflammation

Fruits and vegetables

Chronic, low-grade inflammation can linger for months or years and is linked to diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, and cancer. UTHealth dietitians say the best prescriptions for treating chronic inflammation lie in not only pharmacies but our kitchens.

More headlines »