Welcome to UTHealth
UTHealth is more than just a great place to work, teach or conduct research. It’s a place to grow personally and professionally. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities.
At UTHealth you’ll find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees.
We offer a first class benefits package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program, generous leave programs and more!
Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with UTHealth, as well as prepare yourself for your first day of work.
We hope you will have a long and rewarding career with us.
Before You Start
All new employees must complete the following in order to begin working at UTHealth. Items to be completed will be sent to the email address on your application. Please check this email regularly over the next few weeks to ensure you do not miss any forms or notifications. You may also want to check your spam folders as sometimes emails can be inadvertently moved to spam if they are from a new contact.
- Background Check and Drug Screen Authorization
You will receive several emails within the first few days from RapidResponse@preemploy.com. These will be requests for your authorization to complete a background check and drug screen. Please complete the contact information, provide any requested information on prior employment or education, and follow instructions, when received, on where to go to complete the collection portion of the drug screen.
- Electronic I-9 Form
Go to www.newi9.com and type in the employer code 13948 and complete your part of the required work authorization form. You will be required to show documents to UT Health on or before your start date to complete the entire I9 process. Make sure to log out once you complete the form.
- Health History Questionnaire
UTHealth is self-insured and therefore conducts a review of your health history. Depending upon the nature of your position, you may be required to receive immunizations.
Click on the
Health History Questionnaire to download and complete the form. Once completed, please email the form to HR@uth.tmc.edu.
Read and complete the forms in the online pre-employment packet received via email and submit the completed packet to Human Resources. If you need assistance completing the forms, contact the Human Resources department by phone 713-500-3130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Pre-Employment Appointment (for employees whose position requires a TB and immunization record)
You will be contacted by your recruiter to schedule this appointment, prior to orientation.
What should you bring?
- University Center Tower, Human Resources Department; 7000 Fannin, Suite 150; Houston, TX 77030 (Fannin at Pressler)
- Park on floors 2 through 5 and bring your parking ticket to Human Resources for validation.
- Complete your I-9 documentation
- Take a picture for your Employee Identification (ID) Badge
- Visit Health Services to complete Health Clearance Requirements
- Receive information about orientation
- Review Employee Benefits
To review information regarding UTHealth benefits, please visit the Employee Benefits website. Please contact the Benefits department by phone 713-500-3935 or email email@example.com with any questions.
Your First Day
What to Expect
You will begin your first day by completing employment activities and attending New Employee Orientation.
Employment activities include:
- Completing your I-9 documentation (if you have not completed it during pre-employment)
- Receiving your Employee Identification (ID) Badge
What to Bring
- Documents Verifying Work Authorization (if you have not completed a pre-employment appointment) - As set forth by The US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, documentation is required to verify authorization to work in the US. For a list of documentation options, please review the Instructions for Employment Eligibility Verification.
- Beneficiary information - including social security numbers, dates of birth and addresses of beneficiaries for benefit forms
Where to Go
On your first day, you will go to the Human Resources department at the University Center Tower (UCT) building.
- 7000 Fannin, Suite 150; Houston, TX 77030 (Fannin at Pressler)
- UCT garage – enter on Fannin and park on floors 2 through 5
- Bring your parking ticket with you for validation.
- Begins at 7:35 a.m. on the 1st floor lobby
- Sign in, pick up employee identification (ID) badge, validate parking and complete any pending items
New Employee Orientation
- Begins promptly at 8:00 a.m.
- Location and directions to orientation will be provided at registration.
About New Employee Orientation
New Employee Orientation (NEO) is a way to help newly hired staff, faculty and academic employees become familiar with our organization and campus community.
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- About UTHealth – vision, mission, organization, history
- Employee Resources
- Next Steps
Noon – 1:00 p.m.
- Basic Clinical and Laboratory Safety Training will be held for employees who will be working with patients, animals, blood, hazardous chemicals or potentially infectious biological agents.
- Complete your I-9, if you did not complete it prior to orientation or during lunch.
- Get your employee identification (ID) badge, if you did not obtain it prior to NEO or during lunch.
As you move forward within your new career at UTHealth, you will need to complete the following activities within your first few weeks of employment.
Obtain Username, Password and Email Address
- Attending orientation implies that you have been cleared by the Office of Human Resources. If you are having difficulty, please contact your department’s Administrative Assistant or your supervisor before the end of your 3rd working day.
- Resource: UTHealth Help Desk can assist you. They can be reached at 713-486-4848.
Enroll in Direct Deposit
You will need your bank routing number and your account number to complete this process.
Complete and Return all Benefits Forms
Forms are due on the 31st day of employment.
- Resource: UTHealth Benefits can assist you. They can be reached by phone at 713-500-3935 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update Personal and Emergency Contact Information
Review IT Security Policies and Procedures
This review includes mobile access requirements to university protected information.
Obtain a Digital ID
- A digital ID is used for email signature authentication and encryption. All email that contains sensitive or secured information must be sent as encrypted within and outside of the university. Your job may or may not require this. Please check with your supervisor, hiring manager or recruiter.
- Complete New Employee Training Courses
- All new employees are required to complete specific training courses in Learn2Succeed. Log-in and click the New Employee Learning section to access the required the courses.
Meet with your department’s Timekeeper
Discuss with your department’s timekeeper the time and labor requirements.
Register for all Departmental/Job-Specific Training
Discuss with your supervisor all departmental/job-specific training that you are required to complete. Examples include “Laboratory and Bloodborne Pathogens” training, PeopleSoft training, etc.
- Review your Badge Authorization
- Review with your department your badge authorization and building hours.
Review HOOP and General Standards of Conduct
Review the Handbook of Operating Procedures (HOOP) and know the General Standards of Conduct.
Learn Emergency Protocols
Register for the Emergency Alert system and learn protocols for emergencies.
- Discuss and Identify with your Supervisor
- Building logistics
- Emergency and evacuation procedures
- Parking suggestions
- Department rules
- Telephone, computer, lab, printer, printer access code, long distance code and electronic set-ups
Tour your building and area
- Emergency exits, elevators and stairwells, evacuation meeting area outside of building/department, conference rooms, labs, storage, supplies, dining facilities, etc.
- Sign up for Parking
- If applicable, establish a parking contract with Auxiliary Enterprise for a parking location near your building