Research Institutes & Centers
UTHealth comprises six schools and several centers and institutes whose work aligns with the university's mission of education, research and clinical care.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) recognizes the importance of animals in research and the scientific and ethical responsibility for their humane care and use. All those involved with the use of laboratory animals are responsible for insuring the health and well-being of the animals used in research and education at UTHealth.
The goal of the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS) is to facilitate clinical and translational research at UTHealth, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and the Memorial Hermann Hospital System. The CCTS is one of the original 12 centers funded by the National Institutes of Health’s Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSAs).
We facilitate scientific research and collaborative efforts in the neurosciences, creating an atmosphere of scientific exchange through multiple routes.
The Center for Healthcare Quality and Safety conducts research that generates new knowledge about how to improve the quality and safety of healthcare. The center actively disseminates their findings and facilitates educational programs designed to train researchers and caregivers on how to improve care.
The Center for Translational Injury Research (CeTIR) leads the research and development of next-generation medical technologies related to hemostasis, resuscitation and computerized decision support for trauma patients.
The Consortium on Aging was established to lead UTHealth in meeting the challenge of providing quality health care for the growing elderly population in Houston. The Consortium is a university-wide collaborative effort that leverages the existing strengths and expertise of all the UTHealth schools, including the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Public Health, Biomedical Informatics, and Biomedical Sciences.
Our Institute's mission is to expand research across the continuum of stroke care, develop new treatments and innovative health care delivery models for stroke patients, and conduct population health studies that will change the practice of cerebrovascular medicine.
Under the leadership of Drs. Tandon, Lhatoo, and Zhang, the Texas Institute for Restorative Neurotechnologies will establish a synergistic multidisciplinary team with unified clinical, research, and education objectives.
McGovern Medical School
- Center for Advanced Cardiopulmonary Therapies and Transplantation
- Center for Antimicrobial Resistance and Microbial Genomics
- Center for Cardiovascular Biology and Atherosclerosis Research
- Center for Clinical Research & Evidence Based Medicine
- Center for Human Development Research
- Center for Membrane Biology
- Center for Neurobehavioral Research on Addiction
- Center for Perioperative Medicine
- Center for Surgical Trials & Evidence-Based Practice (C-STEP)
- Center of Excellence on Mood Disorders
- Chemical Immunology Research Center
- Children’s Learning Institute
- Gulf States Hemophilia & Thrombophilia Center
- John P. McGovern, MD, Center for Humanities and Ethics
- John Ritter Research Program
- Keck Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory
- Structural Biology Research Center
- Surgical and Clinical Skills Center
- Trauma and Resilience Center
- The Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases
- Weatherhead PET Imaging Center
School of Biomedical Informatics:
- Center for Computational Biomedicine
- Center For Precision Health
- Center for Secure Artificial intelligence For hEalthcare (SAFE)
- National Center For Cognitive Informatics and Decision Making in Healthcare
School of Dentistry:
Cizik School of Nursing
School of Public Health
- Center for Health Promotion & Prevention Research
- Center for Health Services Research
- Center for Infectious Diseases
- Center for Innovation Generation
- Coordinating Center for Clinical Trials
- George McMillan Fleming Center for Healthcare Management
- Hispanic Health Research Center
- Human Genetics Center
- Institute for Health Policy
- Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living
- Southwest Center for Occupational & Environmental Health
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Students and faculty collaborate with the centers and institutes of the other five schools as well as many at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.