Research Institutes & Centers
UTHealth comprises six schools and several centers and institutes whose work aligns with the university's mission of education, research, and clinical care.
The University encourages collaborative relationships among faculty to enhance its mission and goals. To that end, the university enables programs, divisions, departments, schools, other organizational entities and the university itself to establish collaborative units for interdisciplinary activities that complement and/or enhance its missions of education, research, patient care, and/or public service. Such units are commonly referred to as institutes, university centers, or laboratories and may be established and operated by guidelines developed by the Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer.
The goal of the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS) is to facilitate clinical and translational research at UTHealth, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and the Memorial Hermann Health System. The CCTS is one of the original 12 centers funded by the National Institutes of Health’s Clinical and Translational Science Awards.
The Center for Healthcare Quality and Safety conducts research that generates new knowledge about how to improve the quality and safety of health care. The center actively disseminates their findings and facilitates educational programs designed to train researchers and caregivers on how to improve care.
UTHealth recognizes the importance of animals in research and the scientific and ethical responsibility for their humane care and use. All those involved with the use of laboratory animals are responsible for ensuring the health and well-being of the animals used in research and education at UTHealth.
The Center for Translational Injury Research (CeTIR) leads the research and development of next-generation medical technologies related to hemostasis, resuscitation, and computerized decision support for trauma patients.
The Consortium on Aging was established to lead UTHealth in meeting the challenge of providing quality health care for the growing elderly population in Houston. The Consortium is a university-wide collaborative effort that leverages the existing strengths and expertise of all the UTHealth schools, including the schools of medicine, nursing, dentistry, public health, biomedical informatics, and biomedical sciences.
UTHealth has expertise across the spectrum of adult and pediatric specialty and subspecialty care, public health, biomedical research, big data analytics, and artificial intelligence. This uniquely positions the COVID-19 Center of Excellence to provide patients with the highest quality care resulting in the best outcomes, to lead translational research and clinical research that will optimize treatments for COVID-19, and to develop preventive protocols that will help keep our communities safe long into the future.
The Neuroscience Research Center (NRC) facilitates scientific research and collaborative efforts in the neurosciences, creating an atmosphere of scientific exchange through multiple routes.
Under the leadership of Drs. Tandon, Lhatoo, and Zhang, the Texas Institute for Restorative Neurotechnologies has established a synergistic multidisciplinary team with unified clinical, research, and education objectives.
Our Institute's mission is to expand research across the continuum of stroke care, develop new treatments and innovative health care delivery models for stroke patients, and conduct population health studies that will change the practice of cerebrovascular medicine.
McGovern Medical School
- Center for Advanced Cardiopulmonary Therapies and Transplantation
- Center for Clinical Research & Evidence Based Medicine
- Center for Human Development Research
- Center for Membrane Biology
- Center for Neurobehavioral Research on Addiction
- Center for Perioperative Medicine
- Center for Surgical Trials & Evidence-Based Practice (C-STEP)
- Center of Excellence on Mood Disorders
- Children’s Learning Institute
- Gulf States Hemophilia & Thrombophilia Center
- John P. McGovern, MD, Center for Humanities and Ethics
- John Ritter Research Program
- Structural Biology Research Center
- Surgical and Clinical Skills Center
- Texas Emergency Medicine Research Center
- Trauma and Resilience Center
- The Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases
- Weatherhead PET Imaging Center
School of Biomedical Informatics:
- Center for Biomedical Semantics and Data Intelligence
- Center for Computational Biomedicine
- Center For Precision Health
- Center for Quality Health IT Improvement
- Center for Secure Artificial intelligence For hEalthcare (SAFE)
- National Center For Cognitive Informatics and Decision Making in Healthcare
School of Dentistry:
Cizik School of Nursing
School of Public Health
- Center for Health Promotion & Prevention Research
- Center for Health Services Research
- Center for Infectious Diseases
- Center for Pediatric Population Health
- Coordinating Center for Clinical Trials
- George McMillan Fleming Center for Healthcare Management
- Hispanic Health Research Center
- Human Genetics Center
- Institute for Health Policy
- Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living
- Southwest Center for Occupational & Environmental Health
- Texas Epidemic Public Health Institute
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Students and faculty collaborate with the centers and institutes of the other five schools as well as many at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.