UTHEALTH HOUSTON’S HEALTH UNIVERSITY
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston is Texas’ resource for health care education, innovation, scientific discovery, and excellence in patient care. UTHealth is one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic health centers. The university has a total annual operating budget of $1,845,548,792 billion (FY2021).
Giuseppe N. Colasurdo, M.D.
Alkek-Williams Distinguished Chair
Our faculty educate and train the next generation of health care providers and researchers to provide outstanding patient care and improve community health in Houston and beyond.
- 12 dual-degree programs
- 10 different professional degrees
- 9 graduate degrees
- 2 bachelor degrees
- 8 academic certificate programs
More information on degree plans and certificates and be found online.
Our faculty and students conduct research to improve the dual pillars of health and well-being while addressing our nation’s most pressing public health crises. UTHealth ranks in the top four universities in Texas in terms of total NIH funding, with $116.2 million awarded to date.
- $256.1 million in research expenditures
- $133.4 million in federal funding
- $53.9 million in philanthropy funding
- $51 million in institutional funding
- $17.6 million in state and local funding
UTHealth is here for our community, and has provided more than $10.7 million in unreimbursed charity care. Our faculty, residents, fellows, and students provide inpatient care at our primary teaching hospitals which include:
- Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Harris Health's Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital
- Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center
- The university of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- TIRR Memorial Hermann
- UTHealth Harris County Psychiatric Center
- 8,396 admissions to UTHealth Harris County Psychiatric Center
UT Physicians, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, is the clinical practice of McGovern Medical School at UTHealth. Our faculty and residents deliver multi-specialty care to the entire family. They also offer urgent, highly specialized, or complex care to individuals and families in Houston and across Harris County and surrounding areas. Faculty serve as role models to medical students in training to become the next generation of physicians and
provide constant mentorship to residents as they continue their specialization.
- 1.7 million patient visits to clinics
- 100+ locations and growing
- 2,000+ providers in more than 80+ subspecialties
Revenue from UT Physicians provides UTHealth with additional resources to support our faculty and further enhance the education of the health care professionals of tomorrow.
UT Dentists is the multidisciplinary faculty practice of the School of Dentistry. Specialists and faculty dentists treat patients with every type of dental problem to improve oral health, which is essential to overall wellness.
- 86,776 patient visits at UTHealth School of Dentistry clinics
UT Health Services is a nationally recognized nurse-managed primary care center through Cizik School of Nursing. Nurse practitioners provide patient care in collaboration with a McGovern Medical School physician.
- 17,784 patient visits at UT Health Services
Our philanthropic community provides critical funding to advance UTHealth’s mission of educating future health care professionals, pursuing life-changing research, and improving the health and well-being of our patients and their families. As seen in this at-a-glance overview, the generosity of our partners empowers the Many Faces of UTHealth who are committed to improving outcomes across Houston and throughout Texas now and for years to come.
- 739 University Endowments, valued at $581 million
- 32 new endowments in FY20
- 14 endowments in research funds and lectureships
- 7 endowments in scholarships and fellows
- 11 endowments in chairs and professorships
- 32 new endowments in FY20
- Types of donors include:
- 48.7% individuals
- 32% alumni
- 7.7% employees
- 6% corporations
- 3.7% foundations
- 1.7% organizations
Faculty, Staff & Student Numbers
- 2,156 faculty
- 6,491 staff
- 4,372 total students
- 48,819 alumni making a difference around the globe
In FY2021 more than 4,651 total full-time students enrolled at UTHealth with 1,750 students graduating with conferred degrees.
- 680 undergraduate
- 7 undergraduate certificate
- 3,004 graduates
- 49 post-graduate certificate
- 1,397 professional
- 305 certificate
- 169 non-degree
Our current student population breakdown for Fall 2020:
84.15% Texas Residents
<1% American Indian
<1% Pacific Islander
- Located in the Texas Medical Center, considered the largest medical center in the world.
- Consists of more than 60 owned buildings and leased facilities with a total of 4,964,673 million assignable square feet.
Last updated: 8/2/2021
For questions, please contact the University Communications Team within the Office of Public Affairs.