Radiation Safety Committee Guidelines
The committee will:
Formulate and recommend policy in the use of radioactive materials and other sources of radiation;
- Monitor their use in compliance with the Texas Department of State Health Service's regulations and UTHealth policy;
- Review and approval of applications for possession and use of radioactive materials within the UTHealth.
- Review and approval of policies and procedures regarding the disposal and release of radioactive effluents from UTHealth.
- Review and approval of amendments to the radioactive materials broad license, to be submitted to the Texas Radiation Control.
- Provide professional advice to the Radiation Safety Officer on matters regarding radiation safety.
- Assure compliance with state/federal regulations; and
- Set standards for radiation safety.
- The Committee reports to the Executive Vice President for Research & Chief Academic Officer.
Designated by the President on recommendation from the Executive Vice President for Research & Chief Academic Officer from the membership.
One faculty representative from the School of Dentistry
Three faculty representatives from the McGovern Medical School representing the three main disciplines: education, research and clinical/patient care.
One faculty representative from the Cizik School of Nursing
One faculty representative from the School of Public Health
One student representative rotated among schools
Others deemed appropriate and appointed by the President
Ex Officio Membership (without vote)
Executive Vice President for Research & Chief Academic Officer
Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Safety Manager, Radiation Safety Program
Safety Manager, Environmental Protection Program
Radiation Safety Officer, Memorial Hermann Hospital
Term of Membership
Staggered three-year term with one term expiring each year.
CYF Training Room
Monthly or at least six times per year
Submitting an application
Radiation Safety Manual (PDF)
Contact EH&S at 713 500 8100 for information on current meeting agenda items
Some topics discussed within university health science center safety committees meet the definition of a “medical committee” as defined under the Texas Health and Safety Code Title 2, Subtitle H Chapter 161, Subchapter D Sec. 161.031, and as such, the meeting minutes are confidential (Sec. 161.032).
The current list of RSC members can be found online here.