Addressing Outgoing Mail
When addressing outgoing mail, the return address should look as follows:
- Department Building Room #
- PO Box
- City,State, Zip Code
Addressing Inter-institutional Mail
- Building Code
- Room Number
- Use inter-institutional envelopes for on campus mail and business envelopes for off campus mail. To avoid delays in delivery, keep inter-institutional mail separate from metered mail and secure all bundles with a rubber band.
- Use postcards for short messages or announcements; it is one-third less expensive than sending an envelope.
- Use green diamond boarded envelopes for first class mail.
- Combine mailings to the same location into one large envelope.
- Use priority mail rather than express when two day delivery is acceptable.
- Fold multi-page material and send it in a #10 envelope to save the extra weight and postage of a large flat.
- Use “Certified” instead of “Registered” mail whenever possible as it costs less and still provides a receipt and notice of delivery.
- Do not over insure; the post office will only pay the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
- Request library and book rate as much as possible.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Mail is collected from Mail Services by the U.S. Postal Service at 4 pm each day.
Interoffice deliveries occur once daily.
1851 Crosspoint Ave.
Houston, TX 77054
Operation Center Annex Bldg., Room 1.960