Skip Navigation and Go To Content

Name Styling in UTHealth/MDA SHP Diploma

How a Graduate's Name May Be Styled on a UTHealth/MDA SHP Diploma

1. A graduate's name as it appears on a UTHealth or MD Anderson SHP diploma must be a legal name. First names may be complete or initialed, but must match myUTH. Omission of first name is acceptable. 

2. Middle names may be complete or initialed, but must match myUTH. Omission of middle name is acceptable. 

3. Last names should match myUTH exactly. 

4. Suffixes such as Sr., Jr., III, etc., may be used if included in myUTH and documented in the student folder on the student's original application, a transcript from another school, or a Certificate of Birth. 

5. Hispanic maternal surnames may be included if documentation is provided to the Registrar's Office for the student folder. Proper documentation is a copy of a Certificate of Birth showing the maternal surname, or on the student's original application for admission. 

6. Hyphenated maiden-married last names may be used, provided the student's file and myUTH have documentation to verify the names. A Request for Name Change form accompanied by a Certificate of Marriage will be required if a name change in myUTH has not been processed since the marriage. In all cases, verification will be based on information which is myUTH and the Registrar's Office student's file and not on information provided verbally or only to the Office of Student Affairs. 

7. Special accent marks may be used, and should be indicated on the Name Change Request form completed by the student. 

8. Special punctuation should follow the instructions on the Name Change Request form, and will be put on the diploma exactly as the student puts it on the form, if possible. 

9. Neither titles nor degrees previously earned will be included as part of a graduate's name on a diploma. 

A diploma may be ordered with a new name in expectation of a name change. If this is done, the diploma will NOT be delivered until an official Request for Name Change is provided to the Registrar's Office with supporting documentation. Any re-printing of a diploma caused by this type of order will be charged to the student.