The Office of Technology Management (OTM) provides a resource for faculty, staff, and student inventors at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston to explore opportunities for their inventions, to coordinate appropriate legal protection for the intellectual property, and to undertake technology transfer activities, while ensuring that new products and methods are made available to the citizens of Texas and while generating a royalty income for The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
What OTM does:
- Provides information, tools and resources for UTHealth faculty, staff, and student inventors about the process of intellectual property protection and commercialization.
- Protects intellectual property by filing, prosecuting and maintaining patent applications and patents for the University.
- Works with UTHealth inventors to identify potential commercial partners who could productize intellectual property developed at the University.
- Negotiates and executes license agreements with companies who will commercialize UTHealth inventions, works, and software.
- Manages license agreements, including collection of royalties and other consideration from companies.
- Distributes royalty payments to the University and to individual inventors.
- Aids in startup company formation.
- Facilitates UTHealth relationships and collaborations with industry partners.