Postdoctoral Research Fellow Appointment Processing
All Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PRF) appointments, status changes, and extensions are processed through the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA).
Pre-approval is required for all new PRF appointments. Prior to sending the candidate an offer letter, forward the following information to Leslie.Beckman@uth.tmc.edu before an offer letter can be extended:
- Candidate's CV
- Name of PI
- Source of Funding
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- A Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PRF) is an individual who holds a PhD, MD, other terminal doctorate, or equivalent degree and who is selected to receive advanced research training under the guidance of a mentor holding a primary faculty appointment at the University. PRFs are not observers or volunteers (see HOOP Policy 125 Observers and HOOP Policy 159 Volunteers).
- Job Title
- The job title “Postdoctoral Research Fellow” is to be assigned for all appointments meeting the definition above.
- Job Codes
- The job code for PRFs paid through UTHealth Houston payroll is 0990. The job code for PRFs paid through external sources (e.g. home country / institution) is 0990SP. "Predoctoral Fellows" who have completed all course work at a U.S institution and are only pending defense may be eligible for appointments through this office using the job code 0324. Contact the OPA for details.
- PRF positions are temporary, usually for a duration of six years or less. PRF appointments are generally restricted to those who have received a terminal degree within the past seven years.
Departments/mentors are encouraged to follow current NIH/NRSA stipend guidelines for years of postdoctoral experience. The minimum salary must meet the career level for zero years of experience regardless of the source of funding. For questions regarding salaries and salary adjustments for PRFs, contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Complete application packet requirements and detailed instruction tabs:
- Copy of approved Offer Letter
- Appointment Letter
- Credential Evaluation if applicable
For help with the F1-OPT I-983 form, visit the International Postdoc page.