Postdoctoral Research Fellows are early career scientists that will move on to careers in academia, industry, and more. As a postdoc, it's crucial to develop professional skills and identify your transferable skills. Below are links to help you with your career development.
Useful Links for Career Development
- UTH-Houston Individual Development Plan (IDP) - An Individual Development Plan (IDP) for UTH-Houston Postdoctoral Fellows.
- myIDP - An Individual Development Plan (IDP) provides a planning process that identifies both professional development needs and career objectives. This web tool provides assessments of skills, interests, and values. Based on results, there is a list of 20 scientific career paths.
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) - The NPA is a nonprofit organization that provides resources that assist in building your career.
- Making the Right Moves - A 'practical guide of scientific management for postdocs and new faculty'.
- BWFund.org Excellence Everywhere - A resources for scientists launching research careers in emerging science centers.
- Minority Postdoc - A web portal on the minority postdoctoral experience featuring resources and events about jobs, career advice, professional development, funding, fellowships, mentoring, and diversity issues.
- Gulf Coast Consortia - Located in Houston’s Texas Medical Center, GCC focuses on building collaborative research groups and interdisciplinary training opportunities for PhD students and postdocs. Funding opportunities are also available here.
- NIH Training and Education Videocasts - Videos on communication, grant writing, career exploration and more.
- ImaginePhD - a career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences.
- Jobscan - A resume review service that helps you determine how similar your resume is to a particular job description. Jobscan users with free accounts can perform up to five resume scans per month and can revisit their 20 most recent scans in their dashboard.
- NPA Core Competencies - The NPA has established six core competencies to offer guidance to individual postdoctoral scholars who must seek out relevant training experiences, in collaboration with mentors, institutions, and other advisors who provide this training.
- Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience for Scientists and Engineers: A Guide for Postdoctoral Scholars, Advisers, Institutions, Funding Organizations, and Disciplinary Societies.