Useful Links for Career Development
- myIDP - An Individual Development Plan (IDP) provides a planning process that identifies both professional development needs and career objectives. This web tool provides assessments of skills, interests, and values. Based on results, there is a list of 20 scientific career paths.
- National Postdoctoral Association - The NPA is a nonprofit organization that provides resources that assist in building your career.
- AAAS 2020 Career Handbook - From the journal Science, useful and relevant information to help you navigate the job search process and manage your development.
- Making the Right Moves - A 'practical guide of scientific management for postdocs and new faculty'.
- BWFund.org Excellence Everywhere - A resources for scientists launching research careers in emerging science centers.
- Minority Postdoc - A web portal on the minority postdoctoral experience featuring resources and events about jobs, career advice, professional development, funding, fellowships, mentoring, and diversity issues.
- Gulf Coast Consortia - Located in Houston’s Texas Medical Center, GCC focuses on building collaborative research groups and interdisciplinary training opportunities for PhD students and postdocs. Funding opportunities are also available here.
- NIH Training and Education Videocasts - Videos on communication, grant writing, career exploration and more.
- Jobscan - A resume review service that helps you determine how similar your resume is to a particular job description. Jobscan users with free accounts can perform up to five resume scans per month and can revisit their 20 most recent scans in their dashboard.
- NPA Core Competencies Reading List - A comprehensive list of reading resources for postdocs that includes materials for grant writing, teaching, and more.
- Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience for Scientists and Engineers: A Guide for Postdoctoral Scholars, Advisers, Institutions, Funding Organizations, and Disciplinary Societies.
Grants and Funding
Databases of funding sources have been available to the public by John Hopkins University and are available for download from the web pages linked below:
This is a continuously updated repository of federal and private funding opportunities that are intended for late postdoctoral investigators and early-career faculty, usually those at or below the rank of assistant professor. Some opportunities may also be open to mid-career faculty; this has been designated in the eligibility requirements. The opportunities are pre-sorted chronologically and alphabetically, and can be searched by funding amount and subject matter.
This is a continuously updated repository of federal and private funding opportunities that are intended for postdoctoral investigators. The opportunities are pre-sorted chronologically and alphabetically, and can be searched by funding amount and subject matter.
Notice: Although every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, please refer to the sponsor’s funding announcement for complete details on each opportunity.