Required and Optional Training
Mandatory training for researchers and research staff conducting human subjects research:
- Human Subjects Training (Biomedical and/or Behavioral) via CITI Program – every 3 years
- Investigator Briefing (Principal Investigators only) – every 3 years
Mandatory training for researchers and research staff conducting clinical trials (in addition to Human Subjects Training):
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Course via CITI Program – every 3 years (A clinical trial is a research study in which one or more human subjects are prospectively assigned to one or more interventions to evaluate the effects of those interventions on health-related biomedical or behavioral outcomes.)
Mandatory training for research staff conducting research at MHH
Mandatory training for researchers and research staff who ship/transport human biological materials:
- Infectious Substances Shipping Training by UT Environment Health and Safety – every 2 years
Optional training opportunities for research staff:
- Clinical Research Orientation Course – offered several times a year
- Clinical Research Education - Basic – offered once a year in Sept/Oct
- Clinical Coordinator Forum - 4th Wednesday of every month
- iRIS Training – offered several times a year
All researchers and research staff involved in the conduct of human subjects research must complete CITI Human Subjects training every 3 years.
Log on to CITI www.citiprogram.org and click Register
Step 1 – Select Your Organizational Affiliation. Type University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Check both boxes to agree to terms of services and affirm that you are affiliated with UTHealth.
Step 2: Enter your name and email address. Please enter your UTHealth email if you have one, as the Primary Email.
Step 3: Create your username and password
Step 4: Enter your country of residence. Type USA - and choose United States from dropdown.
Step 5 - CME/CEU Credits: There is a charge for CEU credits. Select whether you would like to receive CEU credit or not and enter professional affiliation if credit is desired.
Step 6 - Member Information. Apologies in advance for this new screen which will ask for redundant information. You only need to complete required (*) fields. You do NOT need to enter an employee number.
Step 7 - Select Curriculum: This page all lists the courses available on the UTHealth subscription. Humans Subjects Research (HSR) is required for all researchers and research staff conducting human subjects research. Good Clinical Practice (GCP) required for all researchers and research staff conducting clinical trials. All other courses are optional. You can add or remove courses from your curriculum at anytime.
- Human Subjects Research (HSR) - there are two options - Biomedical and Social Behavioral Educational. Choose the option that is most suitable to your research area.
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) - Mandatory for research staff conducting clinical trials
- Conflicts of Interest (COI) - Not required for UTHealth faculty and staff as this is covered in the UTHealth mandatory compliance training
- Data Acquisition and Management - Optional
- Responsible Authorship and Publication - Optional
- Animal Care and Use (IACUC) - Optional
- Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) -Optional
- Clinical Trial Billing Compliance (CTBC) - Optional
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) -Optional
Once you've made your selection, you will be given choices for each course. Choose the courses you wish to complete based on your research. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the IRB office (713-500-7943) or AWC office (713-5003625).
You will now see the screen of selected courses. Click on the word "ENTER" next to a course to begin the modules. You may stop at any time during completion of the modules and your work to that point should be saved.
CITI Training Certificate of Completion is automatically forwarded to CPHS Office when you pass the quiz. If you need additional copies, you may always return to the CITI site and print additional copies.
CPHS HELPLINE 713-500-7943
iRIS HELPLINE 713-500-7960
UTHealth’s Compliance Hotline (1-888-472-9868)
IRIS Support 713-500-7960