Skip Navigation and Go To Content

Policy for Texas Resident Tuition

All new academic students are required to complete and submit a Core Residency Questions form. A hold is placed on all newly admitted students’ records which must be removed before the student will be allowed to register. If you are claiming Texas as your state of residence, click here to complete the Core Residency Questions form. Students who are not US citizens or Permanent Residents must complete the Residency affidavit and return along with the completed Core Residency form.  If you are not claiming Texas as your state of residence, you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar at 713-500-3361 or send an email to  to have the hold removed.

Petition for Remission of Non-Resident Tuition to Resident Tuition

A non-resident student who believes he or she is eligible to pay Texas in-state tuition rates due to student employment must complete Part A of the Petition for Remission of Tuition form and submit it to the appropriate office listed in Part B (see below) for completion of the form.  Once the appropriate office completes the form, that office will submit the completed form to the Registrar’s office for final processing.  The student should not send the form to the Registrar’s Office as this will delay processing. Completed forms must be received in the Registrar's Office by the 12th class day for the Fall or Spring term, and the 4th class day for the Summer term. Forms received after the effective term's deadline will not be processed. Please work with the appropriate office to ensure timely submission of the completed form to the Registrar's Office. A new form must be completed each semester the student is employed and eligible to pay in-state tuition rates.

Offices approved to complete Part B of the Petition for Remission of Tuition form:

A non-resident student who receives a competitive scholarship given from any UTHealth School will have the waiver automatically placed on his or her account before the tuition due date for the semester.  Please do not submit award letters to the Registrar’s Office.    

 A non-resident student who believes he or she is eligible for the Academic Common Market, or Economic Development and Diversification waiver, should email the registrar’ office ( for more information.

For additional information regarding classification as a Texas resident please visit these resources: College For Texans - Residency Information and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.