No Cost Extension
A no-cost extension (NCE) is a formal extension of the grant termination date without requesting additional funds. Each funding agency may have its own procedure for granting an NCE.
To request an NCE for a grant, contact the Preaward team. Preaward will review the funding agency’s grant requirements and provide guidance for requesting the NCE. NCE's can be processed no earlier than 90 days prior to the termination and no later than 10 days prior to the termination date.
For a federal award under the Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) or Expanded Authorities (EA), the first 12-month NCE can be approved by the University through the Preaward team.
To request an NCE in this situation, simply email Preaward with the following information:
- The project number.
- The grant number.
The Preaward team will notify the federal funding agency of local approval by the University.
For all other awards, including other federal awards not under FDP or EA, please email the Preaward team so that guidance can be provided for following the agency’s specific process to obtain an NCE.
As an institution under Expanded Authorities we are allowed to approve internally one no-cost extension.
The request for a no-cost extension should be for one of the following reasons, please let us know which reason applies to your circumstances:
- Additional time beyond the established expiration date is required to assure completion of the approved project scope or objectives; or
- Continuity of PHS grand support is required while a competing continuation application is under review; or
- The extension is necessary to permit an orderly phase-out of a project that will not receive continued support
Please confirm the amount of additional time you are requesting (maximum of 12 months).
Additionally, please confirm the extension is not:
- Being exercised merely for the purpose of using unobligated balance
- Prohibited by the terms and conditions of the Federal Award, or
- Requesting additional Federal funds.
Further, please confirm the extension does not involve any change in the approved objectives or scope of the project.
What is needed for a second NCE with the Federal Government
Address the "No Cost Extension" letter to the NIH Grants Manager on your departmental letterhead with the PI signature and send to Preaward with below information:
- Grant number
- Title of the Project
- Requested new end date
- Estimated total amount of remaining funds (including F&A) with budget estimate for use of funds during the extension period including the F&A. This should be submitted on a form PHS 398 with the budget justification attached.
- Indicate if the level of effort for any Key Personnel (listed in Notice of Award) will be reduced by more than 25% of the level originally proposed (Requires prior approval). Also indicate if these reductions on effort will have any effect on the overall scope of the project.
- If applicable, indicate whether your human/animal/biohazards approvals will be maintained and kept current during the extension period. If the original forms have been updated, please include with this submission.
- Provide concise technical reason(s) for the requested extension.
- Any other information that is required by the Grant Specialist in order to review the request for approval.