Every year the American Heart Association accepts nominations for the following 6 categories: Caregiver Hero, Equity Hero, Group Heroes, Pediatric Hero, and Survivor Hero (see below for a description of each category). They announced Anjail Sharrief, MD, associate professor in the Department of Neurology, is a finalist for the 2023 Voter’s Choice Hero Award!
Dr. Sharrief is the Director of Stroke Prevention here at the Stroke Institute as well as the Director of the Stroke Transitions Education and Prevention Program, which she founded in 2014. She also serves as the Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Department of Neurology.
Sharrief’s research at the institute focuses on highlighting health disparities and outcomes in stroke survivors. She also is passionate about mentoring undergraduates, medical students, and residents to pursue academic careers in the neurosciences.
A public vote in March 2023 will determine the winner of the Voters’ Choice Hero award, and all winners will be announced at the end of April 2023.
You can visit stroke.org/heroawards to learn more and nominate a Stroke Hero. There is also a Spanish website with information on the awards and to accept nominations. Nominations can be accepted in any language.
- Caregiver Hero
- Honors an individual who has cared for a stroke survivor and used their experience to educate, inspire and bring awareness about stroke – this award is for a personal caregiver, not a provider acting in a professional capacity
- Equity Hero
- Honors an individual who promotes the goal of health equity in their work with those at risk for stoke, stroke survivors and stroke caregivers, to ensure that everyone can be as healthy as possible
- Group Heroes
- Honors a group committed to educating, inspiring, and bringing awareness about stroke. This can include stroke support groups, stroke teams, families, private associations, medical facilities and more
- Pediatric Hero
- Honors an individual younger than 18 who has survived a stroke and overcome significant hurdles and whose family has used its experience to educate, inspire and bring awareness to stroke
- Survivor Hero
- Honors an individual who has survived a stroke and used their experience to educate, inspire and bring awareness about stroke