Skip Navigation and Go To Content

Office of International Affairs

Employees (Specialty Occupations)

There are many ways in which a person may be able to work in the United States. You may seek a non-immigrant status that permits you to live and work in the United States temporarily or an immigrant classification to live and work permanently in the United States. A comprehensive list of commonly used non-immigrant visa classifications that allow temporary visitors to work in the United States are listed by the U.S. Social Security Administration. In most instances, UTHealth as your employer or potential employer must petition for you. The UTHealth Office of International Affairs is the only designated department to advise, prepare, and submit any visa related application on behalf of the employer.

Foreign nationals may not accept employment in the United States unless they have been authorized to do so. Some foreign nationals, such as those who have been admitted as permanent residents, granted asylum or refugee status, or admitted in work-related non-immigrant classifications, may have employment authorization as a direct result of their immigration status. Other visitors may need to apply individually for employment authorization.

In the links to your left, you will find more information about coming to UTHealth to work under a temporary or permanent status classification in some of the different employment eligibility categories for working in the United States. 

Please contact us for information about foreign nationals joining UTHealth for purposes of employment.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services offers vast information about temporary (non-immigrant) employment as well as permanent (immigrant) employment  the United States.