N95 Respirator Approval Process
Since the N95 respirator is a tight-fitting face piece respirator, there is an approval process each wearer must complete before being fitted for an N95 respirator. The steps below include a medical questionnaire, fitting of the N95 respirator, training, and annual refresher and training.
Step 1: Complete the N95 Respirator Medical Evaluation Questionnaire
- Send the completed questionnaire to the UT Health Services by fax at 713-486-0983 or 713-500-3263
- Please wait 7 to 10 business days after faxing the questionnaire to UT Health Services before scheduling a fit test
- Re-submission of the Medical Evaluation Questionnaire is required if:
- An employee reports medical signs or symptoms that are related to ability to use a respirator
- A PLHCP, supervisor, or the respirator program administrator informs the employer that an employee needs to be reevaluated
- A change occurs in workplace conditions (e.g., physical work effort, protective clothing, temperature) that may result in a substantial increase in the physiological burden placed on an employee
Step 2: Fit tests are required for the use of any respirator with a tight-fitting face piece such as the N95 respirator.
- Contact Chemical Safety at 713-500-5832 to schedule an appointment
- Do not eat, chew gum, or drink anything except water for at least 15 minutes before coming to be fit tested
- Males must be clean shaven to be fit tested
Step 3: The N95 Respirator training will be given at the conclusion of the fit test.
- Training includes the proper handling, storage, and use of N-95 respirators.
- Sign the Record of Fit Test Completion and Training form
Step 4: Annual fit tests & training.
- Annual fit tests are required to monitor changes in facial structure and ability to wear the respirator.
- Refresher training is given at the conclusion of the fit test
If you have any questions and/or concerns please contact Chemical Safety at 713-500-5832.