A collaboration agreement is a formal agreement between UTHealth and an outside entity to work on a shared research project where there is scientific benefit to both parties. The agreements are typically non-monetary.
If an UTHealth PI is approached by an outside party to participate in a research project, the PI and department administrator should perform an assessment to determine if it is financially and operationally feasible to participate in the study.
If it has been determined that the PI/Department would like to participate, the PI or designee should have the outside entity submit their contract template to Sponsored Projects for review and negotiation.
To expedite the research process, the study team should submit the protocol to the IRB at the same time SPA is negotiating the legal terms of the contract. Agreements with active IRB submissions are prioritized.
- Conduct a Feasibility assessment.
- Submit Contract to SPA by emailing it to PreAward@uth.tmc.edu
- Submit protocol to IRB (if you are using clinical data with personal identifiers).
- Email the Transfer Form and IRB approval to the Contracts Specialist in Sponsored Projects who is handling the agreement.
- Negotiate legal terms of the agreement with the sponsor on behalf of the PI and the University.
- Route the final contract for institutional signature.
- SPA will ensure that the outside entity has a copy of the fully signed agreement.
- SPA will provide the PI and his/her department a copy of the fully executed agreement.